Melos Tubes

postjack

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

postjack to watermelon seeds. He's so souf.

Oh my god I was half awake when I read it the first time.

That's hilarious :D

you're doing it wrong.

I know it's like saying an Indian person that doesn't like mangos!

postjack get crackin on that watermelon >:(

Oh my god I was half awake when I read it the first time.

That's hilarious :D

I know it's like saying an Indian person that doesn't like mangos!

postjack get crackin on that watermelon >:(

sorry yall, i'm too busy with mah cranium down up in these collard greensa nd sweet po-ta-toe pie to worry bout no melons!!!

traitor. you build or else...

There are melos schematics floating around... >:D

I've already got the schematics and I build enough that I don't feel like I have to build everything. I'd put my odds of pickup up the melos at 1:10.

And I'm working off the assumption it's pretty much a stock SHA-1 although the seller indicated it was modded but didn't know to what degree. It also comes with a pretty nice tube compliment.

Hirsch have you heard the 70s Tesla PCC88 tubes?

My SHA is eating up and spitting out 6DJ8s like a...I don't know.

I haven't heard the Tesla tubes. The Melos amps seem to eat 6DJ8's like popcorn. You're better off with a higher rated tube, such as 6922 or 7308 which have the endurance, or the 7DJ8 (PCC88), which would be running cool.

Quick Melos question for all you experts out there...

What's a fair going rate for a standard (although slightly modded) SHA-1 in reasonable cosmetic condition (not perfect)? Hopefully you don't mind me derailing your discussion of melons.

The going rate is whatever a buyer will pay for it. For the stock SHA-1, it really depends on FOTM status. If not FOTM, you'd be lucky to get $400. If FOTM, you could get $500 or more.

Every now and then I contemplate selling my SHA-1, which has a nice set of Carlo mods. For that amp, I'd be looking for $800-$900, but have no idea if the market is there (for less, it's not worth selling the amp). I keep putting off selling things, anyway :P

Duh. I really should read more closely. If you're looking to buy, check out recent Head-Fi discussions and the sale forums. That should give you some idea of whether you're facing FOTM status. If you're lucky, the Melos will be having an off-month, and you can pick one up really cheap. If Melos is having an "on" month, I'd consider selling mine (at the price I'd want, it would simply sit unless it's going through an FOTM phase).

I keep putting off selling things, anyway :P

Selling stuff is such a pain in the ass. :P I used to actually enjoy the whole process, but I got tired of going to the post office and Fedex all the time.

I've considered selling my Melos recently, since I'm so pleased with the way the Dynahi handles every headphone I've thrown at it. But I'm thinking maybe I just haven't found the right tubes yet. I got in those green label 70s amperex 7308s, I'll give them a shot.

More and more lately the Melos has just acted as an expensive switchbox. ;D

The going rate is whatever a buyer will pay for it.

The price quoted so far seems pretty good given what you guys are saying, especially if it's modded to any degree.

I'm torn though, if I bought it it'd really just be to see what all the fuss is about and then I'd probably sell it. So I'm not sure it's worth the time and effort.

The price quoted so far seems pretty good given what you guys are saying, especially if it's modded to any degree.

I'm torn though, if I bought it it'd really just be to see what all the fuss is about and then I'd probably sell it. So I'm not sure it's worth the time and effort.

It is also a very heavy piece of equipment. I'm surprised by how heavy the top is everytime I open it up.

I haven't heard the Tesla tubes. The Melos amps seem to eat 6DJ8's like popcorn. You're better off with a higher rated tube, such as 6922 or 7308 which have the endurance, or the 7DJ8 (PCC88), which would be running cool.

Thanks. I guess I'm going to order those NOS Tesla PC88 from tubedepot. It's frustrating how fast it goes through the 6DJ8s. I don't mind the sound of the Tesla 6DJ8.

Hopefully this pair will last me at least 6 months.

Thanks. I guess I'm going to order those NOS Tesla PC88 from tubedepot. It's frustrating how fast it goes through the 6DJ8s. I don't mind the sound of the Tesla 6DJ8.

Hopefully this pair will last me at least 6 months.

Pizzle:

I will gladly trade you a pair of the amperex 7308 GREEN LABEL 1970S PRODUCTION for your Joseph Grado hp one thousand. These are extremely rare and highly sought after tubes by audiophiles, guitar players, and hamass radio enthusiasts alike. They will bring out the timbre and soul in your music like no other tube you have ever heard! It will make your L3000 sound like the best grado and the best sennheiser in one phone. Imagine the warmth and massive soundstage of the sennheiser combined with the rocking liquidity of the grado headphone combined into one headpone, and what you have is the L3000 powered by the amperex 7308 green label. Hamasses and audiphiles agree: this is a synergistic combo made in audio heaven!

Pizzle:

I will gladly trade you a pair of the amperex 7308 GREEN LABEL 1970S PRODUCTION for your Joseph Grado hp one thousand. These are extremely rare and highly sought after tubes by audiophiles, guitar players, and hamass radio enthusiasts alike. They will bring out the timbre and soul in your music like no other tube you have ever heard! It will make your L3000 sound like the best grado and the best sennheiser in one phone. Imagine the warmth and massive soundstage of the sennheiser combined with the rocking liquidity of the grado headphone combined into one headpone, and what you have is the L3000 powered by the amperex 7308 green label. Hamasses and audiphiles agree: this is a synergistic combo made in audio heaven!

I would do it but I don't think I'll be hanging on to the Melos for long.

• 2 weeks later...