Recommend me some universal players

postjack

So I'm tinkering with the notion of dumping the 999es in favor of a player which also handles DVD-A and HDCD. HDCD capability is important since all of the new Grateful Dead Rhino releases are HDCD encoded, and I love the Grateful Dead.

The most immediately obvious choice is a modded Denon 3910, since it is widely positively reviewed, and modded models can be had cheap on the gon. As we speak there is an sacdmods for 1300 and a modwright for 2300. I tend toward the Modwright since I'm already a fan of the Modwright house sound, and since it has that big ass overbuilt power supply (which, if I bought used, I would send in to get the tube rectification upgrade). I'm looking for recommendations beyond just modded units, they can be stock as well.

$1000-3000 territory, thanks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The APL Denon's go for way more than that, typically around $4k used. I think you'd be happy with either the sacdmods 3910 or the modwright 3910.

yeah, APL being "the" name in mods makes his the most expensive. of course by all accounts they are superb units worthy of their asking price.

The sacdmods is attractive because I possibly could at some point in the future go multichannel with it if the fancy ever struck me, plus its a grand cheaper. The Modwright is stereo only, but again I know I like Dan's work. Both companies stand behind their products by all accounts.

lotta love for the 3910, seems to be a good bang for the buck player. :)

but now that I have all this money back after selling a bunch of gear, I find myself reluctant to spend it! the paypal balance looks so nice. And then hungrych does an IC on his L3000s. Grrrrr... :police:

The most immediately obvious choice is a modded Denon 3910, since it is widely positively reviewed, and modded models can be had cheap on the gon.
Yup.
See FOTM.

See FOTM go.

Go FOTM go.

LOL.

Yeah, screw universal player -- you can always get one of those later -- get the L3000. Especially since it's recabled.

Yup.LOL.

Yeah, screw universal player -- you can always get one of those later -- get the L3000. Especially since it's recabled.

This is some good sense right here. Modded players are aplenty, and its not like I have a ton of DVD-As I need to listen to right at this moment.

Yup.LOL.

Definitely agree on the L3000. Modded players also don't retain their value nearly as well as the L3000 should, especially when Denon comes out with new models every year :P

Not sure on the recable though, recently I've been becoming more of the opinion that headphone cables change flavor of the sound rather than the overall quality - have not heard a recabled L3000 though. See if you can get the stock cable with it, otherwise you might be stuck be wondering what they'd sound like stock. Plus, the stock cable looks damn nice. Still, if it comes down to it - make a run now on a recabled L3000 over a modded player.

Note the big linear psu at the lower right corner.. the board above is for the dual dacs for the dedicated stereo outs.

From Matt Anker of SACDmods:

I got the dual DAC stereo output section working. I had a bad ZapFilter

board with a shorted power supply rail.

-Matt Anker

Woot!! My SACDmods Denon hotrod is about to be born :dance:

denon_dvd_3930_inside.jpg

Note the big linear psu at the lower right corner

More news about my SACDmods Denon 3930ci:

Pete,

I got the prototype machine finished up and listened to it for 3

hours tonight. This is an incredible sounding machine. Lots of

dynamics, warm sound, and most important of all, the sound has

significant body to it. It really is the closest thing I've heard to

vinyl out of a CD. I think you will be pleased with the sound I'm

getting out of this thing. I'm seriously either considering stacking

another DAC in my 555ES, or buying one of these 3930's when they start

to show up on the used market (inevitable seeing how fast video changes).

As far as the tone of the player, I can't say that it is bright at all.

My modded 555ES is equivalent to a 3910 in terms of brightness, and this

is much more rich and smooth on the highs that I don't think purposely

attempting to roll off the highs is necessary. Send the DAC outputs

straight to the ZapFilter and you've got it.

--Matt Anker

I'm not the first, actually the second, but I did knudge Matt to do the mod months ago,

by feeding him all sorts of technical info on the new player.

This may turn out to be the best sounding player he's ever done, by his initial accounts, see earlier post in this thread.

Here is a pic of the prototype unit, note the offboard Zapfilter psu box.

3930CI_small.jpg