Team Audio-Technica Unite!

Elephas

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm planning to get either the SR-007A or SR-007MkII, depending on the price differential.

I passed on Justin's Blue Hawaii SE a couple of months ago and I'm beginning to regret it.

I've been building up my tube collection and have several EL34 sets already. No GE Fat Boys yet.

Here's proof of my self-sacrifice and dedication to ascertaining if the L3000's are, as they claim, the best-sounding playing "Umbrella (Seamus Haji & Paul Emanuel Radio Edit)"

click thumbnail to view

th_Umbrellaplaycount.jpg

I'm going to buy either a Mk2 or an A but there is no rush especially if they are having some teething problems.

You do know that he's making a few more BH's, right... I'm such an enabler... :dance:

I prefer the Sylvania 6CA7's to the GE's but neither is even in the same league as the Mullards. It's a startling difference... :o

I prefer the Sylvania 6CA7's to the GE's but neither is even in the same league as the Mullards. It's a startling difference... :o

I focused on the Mullard EL34 xf2 and Telefunken EL34, already have several sets of those. These tubes are expensive!

Hmm, maybe I can sell the ES-1 and go for a Blue Hawaii SE.

SE? :kitty:

There is only the SE from now on. It's easier to build and the delay line in the PSU helps to make the tubes last longer even though my normal set of XF2's shows no wear after 3 years.

I focused on the Mullard EL34 xf2 and Telefunken EL34, already have several sets of those. These tubes are expensive!

Hmm, maybe I can sell the ES-1 and go for a Blue Hawaii SE.

They sure as hell aren't cheap but well worth it. I know you're not going to be happy but I've never payed more then 200$ for a quad... ;D

I'm sure the BH will look better...

No way! Mullard EL34 xf2 for $50 each, I would buy hundreds of them!

I hate this out-of-production stuff, why can't current production be as good (including headphones, except the SR-007 and W5000 of course).

Alternatively, I'll just never listen to an ES-1 or Blue Hawaii, stay with the KGSS and wish that I'm a solid-state guy.

I own quite a few... ;)

Tubes will get better and better as most of the experience that was lost is gained again but it takes a pretty serious investment to reach what Mullard was doing back in the day.

You could try a really good tube pre amp and use the KGSS as a power amp. My KGSS was built to be a power amp with no volume control but I didn't have any really good pre's to try it with.

Hrm I may think about buying my ES-1 back in that case ;p But I wouldn't put money down til it is physically in my presence and working :) Not sure... I may be going speaker rig rather then another headphone rig. Qualias are suiting me pretty well but not having a tubed electrostatic headphone amp makes me sad panda.

Moderators! Threadcrappers! :mikey2::police:

Apologies, sir! Stax Mafia will retreat to the Stax thread.

Hrm I may think about buying my ES-1 back in that case ;p

I'll sell you your ES-1 for a Qualia 010 with SinglePower headband + money. :-*

-

I don't have a balanced amp yet. I have a Zu Mobius female-XLR cable, so I can use the HD650 and HD600 connected directly to the Lavry DA10's XLR outputs. They sound decent, but not great, and not necessarily better than single-ended drive through the Lehmann Black Cube Linear or Raptor.

I can? I didn't know that...

But someone told me when I joined head-case that I needed to actually be listening to the headphone in order to post about it, and I wanted to be cool respected member and have a high post count, and there were all these cool members making cool posts and saying cool things about headphones, and I wanted to participate and feel cool, too, and...

Yeah, when I heard tkam's recabled L3000 on the Singlepower dragon vs. my unrecabled L3000, it made that last little bit of difference. I could still hear the slight midrange suckout with mine (though it was at its most mild on tkam's rig), but on his it was completely gone. Well nigh perfect setup, that was. I was just emailing someone else, telling them -- after having heard tkam's rig -- that a recable should go without saying. I haven't yet, but my solution sounds surprisingly good.