Why does the mainstream media even bother?

humanflyz

TOMMASINI is crazy. If the guy could pick a side, that would be nice. He first says how he has vinyl, which is good, then says how they are hardly a luxurious sonic experience. WTF? He also mentions later that vinyl is "making a comebacK". What kind of useless crap is that? What person who enjoys music doesn't already know that? Then on to on again off again about digital. Seriously. Has this guy ever compared the two? I can confirm he has not just by reading.

The whole article is just like vomit: regurgitated crap that should not be digested.

What a fool.

Typical whining about how the sky is falling and those darn kids just don't get it anymore. Maybe they said the same stuff about cassettes and eight-tracks, I just wasn't listening.

I am much more concerned over the slashing of music education in public schools and the like, but that's me.

Bah, I need my coffee.

Good question but it is not surprising they did so. The media botches a lot more than just the state of Hi-Fi.

The majority of people listening to music don't listen; they multitask their listening along with workouts, driving, work, studying, posting to websites ;) etc. In those environments why would perfect reproduction be a requirement to the majority of consumers? If the majority of people can't sit down to read a book uninterrupted why would music be any different to the masses?

The majority of people listening to music don't listen; they multitask their listening along with workouts, driving, work, studying, posting to websites

Yikes! I forgot about that. I worked with someone who believed he loved music, but he rarely paid any attention to it, save for the loud bits. Oy.

Yep. I agree with you. Sad news. :-\

Yikes! I forgot about that. I worked with someone who believed he loved music, but he rarely paid any attention to it, save for the loud bits. Oy.

Yep. I agree with you. Sad news. :-\

It's not sad to listen to music while doing other things. What's sad is only having music in your life when you have time for music exclusively. Music IS life. You don't need to concentrate on music all the time.

It's not sad to listen to music while doing other things. What's sad is only having music in your life when you have time for music exclusively. Music IS life. You don't need to concentrate on music all the time.

Yee haw. Thats what office systems are for, right?

And portables, and bedrooms, and speakers that look like rocks...

It can't be the soundtrack if the hero isn't doing anything while it plays.

Exactly. Half my listening time is when I am at the computer. What the hell is so important on here that I can't pay attention to music anyway?

Exactly. Half my listening time is when I am at the computer. What the hell is so important on here that I can't pay attention to music anyway?

The point was that the masses rarely (if ever) listen to music to the exclusion of other activities. If you aren't actively listening an ipod/imod, atv, etc. is fine for the task--who needs audiophile grade components for that? An occasional sour note isn't much different than a door slamming/AC kicking on/dog barking/IM message/phone call.

One can speed-read through a literary work but doing so overlooks the nuances.

I listen at work and get interrupted all day by co-workers :) Using audiophile grade components in that environment would be a waste.

To an extent I agree with you, but on the same regard, one does not have to give 100% attention to the music to appreciate the added fidelity. I very rarely ever JUST listen to music, but I can sure tell when a tube is going bad, and I can enjoy the sound of my VTG.

Your argument states that as I am sitting here typing, with my VTG on my head.. I will not be able to enjoy the sound fomr my headphones, so I should just be using the onboard sound to some v6's?

I agree that maybe an imod is overkill if the user is not even pauing attention to music. However, who are you to say that as I am walking around, I am not actively listening? Because I will hear the occasional bus drive by, I should not use high quality gear?

Maybe you should stop preaching about what people should spend their money on, and worry about your own self. You have found a happy medium for your listening habits, leave it at that.

Maybe you should stop preaching about what people should spend their money on, and worry about your own self. You have found a happy medium for your listening habits, leave it at that.

:doghuh:

My intent was not to instruct how you or anyone else should listen to music. Everyone should do whatever makes them happy. I offered up a comment on SQ and the masses and somehow people read into it that I feel active listening is the one true way to listen to music. WTF, nowhere did I preach about what people should spend their money on. You should reread my posts with a clear mind.

The majority of people listening to music don't listen; they multitask their listening along with workouts, driving, work, studying, posting to websites ;) etc. In those environments why would perfect reproduction be a requirement to the majority of consumers? If the majority of people can't sit down to read a book uninterrupted why would music be any different to the masses?

Seemed a bit preachy to me.

my comments have gone horribly wrong....

:kitty:

No, I often do other things while listening to music. More now than even just a few years back. I can definitely set a soundtrack to most any task; my previous life as a dj makes it easy.

back to SQ.

Every time I read an article in a mainstream media about sound quality, it inevitably gets the whole thing wrong.

I just wish they would try to teach someone who likes music that there might be more to it than just the sound of an iPod with it's extra-sepcial white headphones.

if you want that sort of thing.

if you enjoy/dont enjoy sound quality

if you listen with dedication or with no focus at all on your treadmill

aw crap...you guys are gonna get me to drinkin again. :P