I am in need of headphone cables.

Knuckledragger

I have 3 sets of Sennheisers (actually more, but 3 are the subject here.)  2004 650s (long suffering, still working), 20?? 580s (the cans I use the most) and some 800s I just got from aimless1.  I have a silly collection of amps: 2004 GLite Mk I, HeadRoom Balanced Desktop and the HR Millet(t) Hybrid I've mentioned recently.  The first and third are SE, the middle one is dual XLR balanced.  My problem is that WRT balanced headphone amps, the world has gone 4 pin  XLR.  I understand why.  It's a less annoying arrangement.  There's no shortage of Senn-to-4pin XLR cables, at all price points.  There are fuck-all options for dual XLR ones.  I have looked into dual (male) 3 pin XLR to (female) XLR4.  Amazon has an interesting selection of Chinesium, but none of the options they have are right.  There's XLR male to XLR male (cute, but useless), XLR3 female to XLR4 male (absolutely backwards) and a number of other odd arrangements.  I saw one that had the right connectors, but several review said it was not wired correctly.  It painfully important to have the right pins attached in adapters like this.  There is one "white whale" cable that's perfect, but it's ...unavailable.  There is one listing that's exactly right, but it has zero reviews or ratings, and the images make me wonder about the strain relief. 

Anyone on head-case have a suggestion where I could get a reasonably well main dual XLR (male) to XLR4 (female) cable that is wired correctly for balanced headphone cables and doesn't cost $180?

I also need to get some SE cables, but those are fortunately much more widely available.

As if the offer by @swt61 were not good enough, I have a sweetener that I can give him to send you with his adapter. It is a "crystal cable"* HD800 cable with Xhadow high end dual 3-pin XLRs that I forgot I had. It was given to me by Uncle Wilson at a meet and he didn't want it back. I don't have any dual XLR amps so you can have it as long as you want it. Only caveat would be that you send it back or give it to another Head-caser if you end up not needing it any more. 

*Not clear to me it is really Crystal Cable or a knock-off but it is a good cable regardless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been on the receiving end of things around here too many times to not enjoy the occasional reversal.

I still need to go through a pretty substantial pile of cabling/adapters and post them for those that might make use of them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...