PS3/Wireless Router Questions

postjack

Not sure if this really belongs here or in the computer advice forum, but here goes.

I'm considering picking up a PS3 for its Bluray capabilities and occasional game fun time. What wireless router do you recommend that will work well with the PS3?

Other uses will include iPhone around the house internet access, and who knows, maybe a wireless music server a la Squeezebox at some point in the future.

I was actually just at Best Buy (which I realized, tonight, without a doubt, that I hate, and I will try to never go in there again) and almost bought a standard Linksys router for $80 or so, but I got cold feet when I realized I didn't know if I'd need something more powerful for the possible future PS3 purchase.

Thanks as always for your time and opinions.

Honestly pretty much all consumer level wireless routers suck to some degree ;) so don't be surprised if you have go through a few before you get a stable one. The Linksys ones (some of them) are extremely popular because you can install 3rd party firmware on them that makes them much more configurable than they are by default. But yeah the PS3 should work just fine with any of the routers that are out there.

I can't say for sure how well my Buffalo Air Station router will work with the PS3, but it has three wireless antennas and the signal is good on all my wireless devices, including the Wii. Also it has the AOSS program that works well with Sony PSP and DS's software that makes connecting easier so I would guess that the same is with the PS3.

Somewhat off topic, but in case you weren't aware, 40GB version of PS3 doesn't play PS2 games, SACD's, has two less USB ports, and no Flashcard reader.

Absolutely. If I buy one, I'll get the 80GB version I saw at Sam's Club tonight. I'm interested in backwards compatibility for the wealth of RPGs available on the PS2.

Thanks everyone else for your opinions on routers. It isn't the answer I was looking for, but it sounds like its basically a crap shoot. :)

Absolutely. If I buy one, I'll get the 80GB version I saw at Sam's Club tonight. I'm interested in backwards compatibility for the wealth of RPGs available on the PS2.

One more thing - even the 80GB model has limited backward compatibility since it only uses a software emulation (instead of actually using PS2 CPU, like the initial 20GB & 60GB versions).

One more thing - even the 80GB model has limited backward compatibility since it only uses a software emulation (instead of actually using PS2 CPU, like the initial 20GB & 60GB versions).

wow really? hmph. :( I guess its off to do some research as to the effectiveness of the software emulation.

If you are that worried about PS2 games, get the 40GB and a PS2. Run you about the same $$$

good point j-bone. there are plenty of 60gb available on eBay, but I'm stressing over sketchy ebay sellers and lack of support if I run into any issues. i could just get a PS2 on the cheap if I found I really wanted to play some PS2 games badly, which might not even happen.

apparently after the last update the 80GB version has a vastly improved backwards compatibility. If you know what games you want to play you can check what issues they may have here.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

I have never seen them side by side but I've read that the 60GB version has way worse antialiasing jaggies than the 80GB version when playing ps2 games. I have the 60gb version and don't notice it or really care but it seems to get all the gaming tards panties in a knot.

apparently after the last update the 80GB version has a vastly improved backwards compatibility. If you know what games you want to play you can check what issues they may have here.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

I have never seen them side by side but I've read that the 60GB version has way worse antialiasing jaggies than the 80GB version when playing ps2 games. I have the 60gb version and don't notice it or really care but it seems to get all the gaming tards panties in a knot.

Thanks Chek, I hate antialiasing jaggies. :)

Having said that, right now I'm leaning towards just getting the 40gig and using the $100 savings to buy COD4 and Oblivion. I might be fooling myself thinking that I'd actually play any PS2 games. My gaming time is limited to begin with. :-\

To the OP, I just bought a Linksys WRT54GS. As a positive side effect, I finally got the Ethernet working on my computer. Up until now, I was running the cable modem off of USB. Now I've freed up a slot and possibly sped up my internet connection. :prettyprincess:

And I owe it all to headcase! Well actually not really, but it sounded like a nice thing to say.