UE custom monitors--perfect fit in the beginning, but down the road...

I saw these UE 10s on eBay two days ago. And thought if i could have UE in Irvine, about 35 minutes from my house, take my ear impressions then they could make customs to perfectly fit my ears and this might be a good deal.

so i called UE customer service and to my surprise UE said no can do. a few hours later i called back and asked, if i am an original UE10 owner and two or three years later my ear canal changes as a result of wearing them, age, or gaining or losing weight would UE recast in the event they no longer provided a secure fit. again, the UE rep said no. she explained the recasting process could possibly damage the drivers.

i am still a bit surprised--spend $900 plus and get an incredible product, you can't sell nor get any fit guarantees past the first 30 days.

has anyone with custom monitors noticed the fit changing over time, specifically getting looser? do any of the iem companies provide custom recasting?

I know for a fact they don't use anything of the original iem if you get them refit...well not ue but at Sensaphonics they threw my first pair right right in the garbage while i was standing there. it does not cost these companies shit to make them, more labor then parts cost.

my Sensa's are super soft compared to the hard UE stuff but they still fit perfect to my ear, check out livewires to see what their policy is but with Sensaphonics i think to get them redone cost $150 or something if ever needed.

when i gave the money to the lady there she asked me if i was sure about my purchase cause once it goes threw i will never see my money back ever again, once you pay you only have 30 days to get them to fit it correctly and comfortably...after that you will get hit with the redo cost. and yes you will never get to sell them ever....ever ever!

i heard custom iem's only have a shelf life of 3-5 years then get worn out, again my sensa's are still perfect though.

another thing you should think about is when you get a cold, you can feel the pressure very easily with customs, i wonder what a hard iem would feel like but with mine i still feel enough of it when i am sick.

thanks. i've been looking at sensa too and it's good to know they at least offer resizing even with the fee. i believe these things are pretty cheap to make so one would think UE would at least offer something similar to their customers.

2 years later the ES2 is still going strong, though my weight hasn't really changed. The fit in my left ear is a bit harder to get, but it was never perfect to begin with. I expect in another 2 years I'd probably need another pair, but I doubt I'll keep them that long anyway. The headphones have been all around the world with me and were abused in pretty much any way I could think of (no, not like that you pervs), and are still fine.