Apple newb questions, concerning wireless devices and the Air. [Hi Grawk]

Ok, so even after I originally said it was stupid, I've been considering the Air recently.

I was looking on the Apple Store, and Time Capsule sounds cool, and as I understand it, is also a wireless router? And it has a USB port?

It says on their website that you can hookup a USB printer to it. What about a usb optical drive? If you can hook up a USB optical drive, is anyone aware of any wireless printers? If you can't, are there wireless or bluetooth optical drives?

If I switch to the Air, I'll be getting rid of my desktop, so this is important.

Anyone have experience with bluetooth keyboards and mice?

Oh, and can you also partition part of the Time Capsule as an external HDD, or is it only good for saving all the system backups?

It has a usb2 slot, I'd use that over wireless for optical stuff just for speed, and rarity of use. I haven't seen anyone using an optical drive with time capsule, but I haven't been looking.

Time Capsule is a router, yes.

You can connect a hub to Time capsule's usb port, so assuming you stick with a usb optical drive you can still have a usb printer.

HAH

Ok, yes. Time Capsule is Airport Extreme with a built in drive. USB for printers and hard drives. Don't believe it supports optical drives. Lots of people make wireless printers, I like my brother MFC-820CW (the w is for wireless). I hang a laserjet 5 off my airport express and have the brother wireless. I use apple bluetooth keyboard and mighty mouse, and like them a lot. I like the new chicklet keyboards too, but my bluetooth keyboard is the old one. I believe you can use the time capsule both for nas storage and backups, but I have the extreme, not the time capsule.

Ok, so even after I originally said it was stupid, I've been considering the Air recently.

I was looking on the Apple Store, and Time Capsule sounds cool, and as I understand it, is also a wireless router? And it has a USB port?

It says on their website that you can hookup a USB printer to it. What about a usb optical drive? If you can hook up a USB optical drive, is anyone aware of any wireless printers? If you can't, are there wireless or bluetooth optical drives?

If I switch to the Air, I'll be getting rid of my desktop, so this is important.

Anyone have experience with bluetooth keyboards and mice?

Oh, and can you also partition part of the Time Capsule as an external HDD, or is it only good for saving all the system backups?

My parents are using a HP Color Laserjet 3600 at work and it works great wirelessly. Why dont you just get a regular laptop instead? Any reasons that you prefer the air?

except that its cool and thin and stuff

He might need to mail it to someone and only have 9x12" envelopes handy.

I have a really hard time picturing the Air as the only computer that I'd own. You're paying a huge tax for weight and form-factor and would get a lot more bang for your buck with their other offerings if you insist on going Apple. I'd have to travel more than 50% of my working life to even start to consider something like it and even then it'd just be for travel. It also strikes me (much like the eeepc) as something that will get much better in its second generation.

I have a really hard time picturing the Air as the only computer that I'd own. You're paying a huge tax for weight and form-factor and would get a lot more bang for your buck with their other offerings if you insist on going Apple. I'd have to travel more than 50% of my working life to even start to consider something like it and even then it'd just be for travel. It also strikes me (much like the eeepc) as something that will get much better in its second generation.

Yup. I wouldn't own an air as an only computer. However, air + mini + kvm is a great idea, if light is a benefit to you. Given my usage of my macbook, I could easily replace it with the air.

I lug my laptop to and from campus with anywhere from a 1-2 mile walk each day (depending on whether I catch the morning bus up the hill).

My macbook pro is 6 lbs - a 3lb air would be nice for what I do with it. I'd have to get a usb ethernet dongle though - wireless is too spotty, at least in my office, anyway.