Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray Blue Note Remasters to be Released on SACD!

Voltron

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Q/A thread over at Hoffman's, there was a delay at the pressing plant that will get the first 3 SACDs out by the end of November.

Inspired by the "10% off for Halloween" coupon they emailed out, I ordered Capuchin Swing in a flurry of optimism. We'll see how it goes.

I did pick up Jackie's Bag on LP. It sounds nice I guess, but $50 and you have to turn it over 3 times to hear all 6 tracks, I'll leave the rest of the limited-edition releases to the true vinyl-philes.

I am really curious to hear the SACD versions, but want them to come out with a package deal for vinyl subscribers, dammit!

Clarke, you can check out the sound of the 45s at my house when you come over soon. I think you will like it, but if you have the Capuchin Swing SACD I have the vinyl for comparison. ;)

if you have the Capuchin Swing SACD I have the vinyl for comparison. ;)
Given AP's track record, I'm not sure if I want to wait to come over until the SACD's release, but if it does actually ship this month I'm game! I think such a comparison will reveal the SACD to be severely lacking in dust pops... >:D

[the pops and clicks] are part of what delivers are more involving and visceral listening experience.
There is something to that.

[off topic alert]

Check out this article:

Bob Ludwig On Digital Audio BAS Speaker

...written by Bob Ludwig in 1989. He did an experiment adding analog noise to a CD master and found it that it actually improved the sound of the CD. More noise = better sound...whoda thunk?

• 2 months later...
do you listen to a recording of pops and clicks when you go to a concert?

whoops, forgot to post a snarky reply to this one.

no, usually I listen to overblown bass and the screeching highs of a poorly mixed electric guitar, complete with muddy and echo-ey vocals. :)

glad to see some of the SACDs are finally coming out.

no, usually I listen to overblown bass and the screeching highs of a poorly mixed electric guitar, complete with muddy and echo-ey vocals. :)

so true. Most sound guys deserve to be shot. If you're listening to unamplified jazz (other than vocals) or classical then argument doesn't hold much water though.

Whoa what? Crazy... I wonder when mine will go out. Did you get any word or did they just magically show up?

They just magically showed up. Usually i get an email when they ship, but

i'm on the subscription for all THREE sets, so evidently they just ship when they

can without notice.

The subscription works differently than just ordering the discs from the website.

And i did listen to all 4 last night. Really good stuff. Hardly what i would call stereo

as there are horns to the left, horns to the right, piano always in the middle and

drums always on the right... Great music.