Steve Hoffman/Kevin Gray Blue Note Remasters to be Released on SACD!

Voltron

I just noticed over on the Hoffman site that the current run of Blue Note reissues on 45 RPM vinyl will be coming out on SACD shortly. That is some very cool news even though I will have to figure out whether I want to cancel the vinyl subscription, double up some, or wait and see how they compare before making a choice. I will not cancel my other subscription to the Music Matters BN reissues because those are the most gorgeous LPs ever produced. Anyway, these remasters are so awesome that anybody who likes jazz even a little should be buying these things. Apparently $30 a pop, so that is $20 cheaper than the vinyl option. :dance::prettyprincess::dance:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, thanks for the news Al! I couldn't find any info how Steve masters them differently for SACD vs redbook. I know he has a pretty nice redbook mastering system.

My guess is they will sound identical to the vinyl (at least the redbook should) iirc Steve said redbook/vinyl get closest to the master tape.

This is what producer Michael Cuscuna allegedly told somebody on the Hoffman forum:

"Michael was told that the DSD masters were created as they cut the 45 rpm LPs. It would only make sense that they will have the same mastering as those LPs. No need to run the masters through the playback mechanism twice."

Luis and I were chatting about this earlier.

I nearly shat my pants. :P

Since I dont even have a damn turn table, you can imagine how I'd naturally prefer the digital format :)

Not to mention all the money saved not hiring a studio engineer to transfer vinyl :D

This just pushed me over the edge, in my debate about getting an SACD player.

I am going to buy every last one of these mofos, and all the Living Stereo stuff.

Perhaps the best news, or at least probability, is that they wont be limited edition.

I feel confident Music Matters will do the same.

I've grown tired of trying to scramble to get things before they're gone.

I can't really imagine that these are going to be terribly limited editions, but I am hoping for clarification of that by AP/AS. I am curious whether they will do it on a rolling basis or just release them all at once, which would take a while. I am not pre-ordering yet but I intend to keep an eye on it. :popcorn:

This is what producer Michael Cuscuna allegedly told somebody on the Hoffman forum:

"Michael was told that the DSD masters were created as they cut the 45 rpm LPs. It would only make sense that they will have the same mastering as those LPs. No need to run the masters through the playback mechanism twice."

Steve's response:

Totally inaccurate.:wave:

Nothing to tweak. When I master something for DSD it's a one step process. Nothing is done except what I do in the ANALOG DOMAIN. I don't degrade the sound by second thought after-meddling.

Since I haven't done any yet (as mentioned above) well see what happens!

All questions being answered here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=3412758#post3412758

Hehe it's pretty funny Acoustic Sounds put them up for preorder and Steve hasn't even started work on these yet ::)

"Pay before the product even exists". Sounds like the (Larry) Larocco Diablo (or is it Disable) business pricing model.