Source for my R10

riceboy

riceboy,

The 840 is relative cheap in comparison to other source and seem to be very popular right now. You might want to grab one off audiogon and check it out on your system. You probably can get most of your money back if you don't like it. Has the seller ship your R10 yet? You might want to bring your R10 in to demo the 840C as well.

Purk

riceboy,

The 840 is relative cheap in comparison to other source and seem to be very popular right now. You might want to grab one off audiogon and check it out on your system. You probably can get most of your money back if you don't like it. Has the seller ship your R10 yet? You might want to bring your R10 in to demo the 840C as well.

Purk

Hey Purk. Yes, he has shipped it out and I can't wait to be quite honest. I've read many folks liked the 840C. A friend of mine that lives here actually has a 840C and he absolutely loves it. I can't remember his $5,000 CD player he had, but he thought that the 840C came pretty close to sounding as good. I am going to setup a demo time with the local audio shop here and I was planning to take my R10s as well. I'm hoping that they will let me demo it in house for a day. They actually let someone demo it in their home for a day. That way I could baseline it with my current setup and use the Dragon to see how it would sound. I'm starting with the 840C and will work my way up to hear different sources that were mentioned in this thread. I believe the local audio shop here might have a good selection of CD players, but of course they won't have a Exemplar to demo, but if the many head casers think that the Exemplar is great, I'm certain it is :). I'm just counting the days till they get here... :dance: Thanks for your help and to everyone as well. It really helps a new guy to sources out a bunch :)

If you are only looking at redbook I have had the chance to hear the Classe CDP-202 on two recent occasions. it is (next to the Audio research CD7) the best redbook player I have heard. Both players bumping my old favorite the Audio Aero out of the number one spot.

Interesting, I've heard the Class

Just a little update. I decided to purchase the 840C online as they do offer a 30 day trial. The local audio store down here doesn't really know when they are getting the 840C as it could be a couple week to longer than a month. I'm hoping that the 840C will be here by next week. I'll start there and if the opportunity presents itself I'll move up to the Exemplar 2900 eventually. After reading reviews about it over and over again it seems like it will be a lot better than my DAC1 and Denon 2900 setup right now. Thanks to everyone with all your suggestions :D. I'm sure one day I will move up and get a better source, but I thought I should start somewhere and the 840C sounded like the most comfortable place for a noob like me in regards to sources to start. Thanks again and I'll post how I like it when I get it in.

I think Hirsch has a Modwright -modded Denon for his source, and he's extremely happy with it, I think. (And I mention it because his can of choice is the R10.)

No, mine is the Exemplar 2900. I'm extremely happy with it, to the point that I don't really see myself upgrading to another CDP anytime soon, if ever. OTOH, I'm very interested in the Modwright Transporter...

The Exemplar is extremely tube-sensitive, and the pinch-waist 7062 were the ones I settled on. Until I found those, the sound didn't really lock in for me. Once I heard them, that was the last time I changed tubes in the Denon.

At nearly 4 grand (for the kit) I'm sorry, there is just no way that I'd risk it. I'd much prefer to buy any of the multitude of options that exist in that price bracket and don't require me to offer warranty service. buy something that was either broken before it was sold to me or broken by the shipping company, leaving me screwed yet again :)

FIFY

At this point I'd trust your DIY skills over USPS, UPS, FedEx or DHL.

At nearly 4 grand (for the kit) I'm sorry, there is just no way that I'd risk it. I'd much prefer to buy any of the multitude of options that exist in that price bracket and don't require me to offer warranty service. :)

Yeah, it was better when the dollar and euro had a bit more parity (still expensive to me at $2k+). But, I was asking if anyone had heard it. I wouldn't be surprised if it competed quite nicely with $10K+ players.

• 1 month later...

Okay. I just wanted to update everyone on the source I got for my R10. For a couple of months I've been enjoying the 840C for my R10s. Though they sound fantastic, I just heard another source and I just picked it up.

The Audio Research CD7 is just amazing. The recording sound so real, natural, and warm all the same time. I mean a lot of my discs that I played through it sound like a live recording. I'm just so happy with the player. Right now 4n6 has been so gracious and kind to let me borrow his for a while until my CD7 comes in sometime late next week. I'm thinking that I'm going to settle on this source for a long while :).

Thanks again to everyone that helped me get to this point of my audio bliss. :dance:

Okay. I just wanted to update everyone on the source I got for my R10. For a couple of months I've been enjoying the 840C for my R10s. Though they sound fantastic, I just heard another source and I just picked it up.

The Audio Research CD7 is just amazing. The recording sound so real, natural, and warm all the same time. I mean a lot of my discs that I played through it sound like a live recording. I'm just so happy with the player. Right now 4n6 has been so gracious and kind to let me borrow his for a while until my CD7 comes in sometime late next week. I'm thinking that I'm going to settle on this source for a long while :).

Thanks again to everyone that helped me get to this point of my audio bliss. :dance:

Ooooh!!! Congrats! The CD7 is indeed very amazing.