CD transport < $100 to feed my mini-dac

Spiug31

I'm considering getting a cheap cd player/transport so I can conveniently put on discs without the need to rip them first. I would be feeding (probably) the toslink to my miniDAC and from there balanced out to my Beta22. The player would need to sound at least as good as the ripped CD's do when fed from my H120s' toslink out. The player doesn't need to be portable and the only format it will need to play are redbook standard CD's.

I've tried using my cheap technics system but that is thin and tinny compared to my H120.

Are there players that fit this bill ?

I will be saving up for a Cambridge Audio 840C in my future but as this will likely take until the winter/spring a stop-gap solution is very tempting. ::)

can you stretch a tad more on budget? Ive got a CE595 and its a pretty nice transport. Ive been using it in my setup for over a year and even the DAC sounds decent...its not GREAT...however its not bad either.

I even had a JVC DVD player that was great for transport. It did sound alittle tinny compared to the CE595 though.

I've tried using my cheap technics system but that is thin and tinny compared to my H120.
As a transport? Not sure you can beat it at that price.

Do y'all have CD-ROM's where you are? NEC. No-risk proposition, if it doesn't work out for you, you can sell it.

Otherwise I'd say just get a Sony changer or something, but until you figure out what's wrong with the Technics, I wouldn't bother.

As a transport? Do y'all have CD-ROM's where you are? NEC.

I can/could do it through my PC (this actually sounds markedly better than my H120). I was however hoping for a solution that would allow me to not need my pc.

can you stretch a tad more on budget? Ive got a CE595 and its a pretty nice transport.

how much more is a tad ?

[each pound I divert to this means it'll take me longer to get an 840C so it's not something I'd go over $200 for and $100 is where I comfy.]

Less than

I can/could do it through my PC (this actually sounds markedly better than my H120). I was however hoping for a solution that would allow me to not need my pc.
No, there's a standalone CD-ROM that has an optical out. It was the FOTM for a while on Head-Fi, I think it was the 6xe? I don't know if it'd have the same nomenclature over there, but basically, it's a CD-ROM with a cartridge and an optical out, a play button, and not much more (maybe a skip track forward and backward). There were some others. Here: google search of Head-Fi.

There are of course variations -- but the trolley-based one was the most popular. And it's the only one I've heard personally, and can vouch for it that it sounded plenty fine. Someone on head-fi said something about a top-loading one. Try searching for "NEC multispin".

I dunno how much it will cost you over there...i see it at best buy for 150$ normally.

At that price I would consider it :). I've just seen one on eBay which I can't get due to "collection only" but I'll keep an eye out and see if I can snag one.

The review of a CE595 here: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue21/ce595.htm seems to say its laid-back and warm. As this will be going to my miniDAC then to my Beta22 (both of which tend to get described as warm), is this likely to be a problem ?

I have not had good luck at all w/ cheap transports so unless your goal is cheap sound and to throw away $$$ I'd advise against it.

Duly noted,

What price point would you consider worthwhile as a minimum ?

---------

Thanks Dusty, that looks ideal - I'd need some help buying that particular one though (no overseas postage). pm me if your feeling helpful. :)

(would you be willing to receive it then ship it out ?)

One thing to keep in mind, if my experience is any indicator, is that CD Rom drives are usually anything but quiet when playing back albums. At least in Foobar.

I had a look and this puts my mind somewhat at rest http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t48101.html

-------

I may have found a UK source for an NEC Multispin 6Xe CDR-602, I've dropped them an e-mail and will try and source one locally first (may have cheaper overall postage and a UK rated power supply) :)

I may have found a UK source for an NEC Multispin 6Xe CDR-602, I've dropped them an e-mail and will try and source one locally first (may have cheaper overall postage and a UK rated power supply) :)

It looks like the retail price over here for a CDR-602 is around