The Cary SLP-05 Preamplifier

4N6

I just received back from Cary Audio in North Carolina the Cary SLP-05 preamplifier. This is their top preamplifier and was purchased a couple of months ago to serve as my main preamp in my speaker-based system. I also wanted this to work as my home headphone amp when the wife and the neighbors want me to keep it quiet. The preamp is fully balanced and sports something unique in the high-end stereo preamp world, namely a true dedicated built-in headphone amp. The headphone amp section uses two 6SN7 tubes to power the headphones, while the preamp section runs off another six 6SN7 tubes, for a total of 8 tubes. The separate power supply uses 5AR4 tube rectification.

You may have noticed the beginning of the paragraph and asked why I just received the preamp back from Cary. Well, despite the good intentions of the engineers at Cary, there was one small design flaw. The faceplate of the SLP-05 is quite thick and the headphone recepticle is behind the faceplate. The round opening within the faceplate was unfortunately too small and narrow to allow the full insertion of the 1/4" headphone jack into the recepticle, therefore not allowing a complete connection. I sent the preamp back to Cary and they made me a new faceplate with an enlarged opening for the headphone recepticle. Problem solved!!! :D

Well the news from here on out all all fabulous! The preamp sounds amazing in my speaker system and the headphone section is terrific! Driving the JVC DX1000's seems like a match made in heaven, with beautiful mids, sparkling highs, and awesome grip on the lows. For this headphone, there is better synergy with the Cary than with the RSA B-52 and comparable to the TTVJ 307A. Some may even prefer the Cary with this headphone as the 307A/DX1000 combination has almost a little too much bass.

I am really smtten with this preamp and my speaker system has never sounded better. If you are looking for a top level balanced preamp and are only going to use single ended headphones, the Cary should be on your short list to audition. Wonderful.

Cary SLP-05 preamp

SLP-05.jpg

Cary SLP-05 Power Supply

SLP-05powersupply.jpg

Preamp - right side. The "Input Level" is actually more of a balance control, as the "Listening Level" knob controls the volume.

SLP-05right.jpg

Preamp - left side. Two fully balanced inputs and three single ended inputs.

SLP-05left.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of Cary gear, but that sounds like a fantastic pre and headamp. The Manley 300B Preamp that Todd had at CanJam also has a fine headamp built in with 300B goodness to boot. The Manley is not balanced. I would like to hear these side-by-side. Enjoy it now that you can fit your cans into it!

I'm not a huge fan of Cary gear, but that sounds like a fantastic pre and headamp. The Manley 300B Preamp that Todd had at CanJam also has a fine headamp built in with 300B goodness to boot. The Manley is not balanced. I would like to hear these side-by-side. Enjoy it now that you can fit your cans into it!

After a number of different amps and preamps of various brands and models, I have found that I am a huge Cary fan. Something about the sound signature, not to mention the great build quality, that just strikes me as being "right." Also a very good value for the money, even now when a large portion of todays tube gear is being built in Asia. Also, their customer service with this issue was beyond exemplary.

I also very seriously thought of the Manley Preamp. But as I had the Cary monoblocks, I just wanted to stay within the family at first. I am glad that I did!

What is the purpose of the "main power" volume knob on the power supply? Is that a gargantuan on/off switch?

Yes, it is just the main power supply on/off switch. You know what they say, "the size of a man's knob is directly proportional to the size of his..." Oh wait, there may be children reading this! ;)

After a number of different amps and preamps of various brands and models, I have found that I am a huge Cary fan. Something about the sound signature, not to mention the great build quality, that just strikes me as being "right." Also a very good value for the money, even now when a large portion of todays tube gear is being built in Asia. Also, their customer service with this issue was beyond exemplary.

I also very seriously thought of the Manley Preamp. But as I had the Cary monoblocks, I just wanted to stay within the family at first. I am glad that I did!

You have a an EAR phono in another setup, have you heard any of the EAR preamps? I thought the one my friend had (864, though modded) sounded amazing.

Unfortunately, I have not heard the EAR preamps or amps. I really enjoy the 834P, which I had modified by Great Northern Sound in Stillwater, MN. It can now keep up with all but the megabuck phono preamps.

The value of the dollar really hurt the prices of the EAR components, and when I was in the market the Cary equipment was the better value.