New Metallica album dated

humanflyz

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Some of this has been posted in the WAYLTRN thread but I figured I'd put it here for completeness' sake. If you like this album at all but are incredibly frustrated by the absolutely horrid production I would suggest tracking down the "Guitar Hero" rip of the album. Evidently it was released to the game manufacturer prior to final processing and is so far and away better than the commercial releas it's absurd. It's still not perfect, but leaps and bounds better. Ultimate :palm: for whoever the engineer was who did the final mastering/production.

My post from the WAYLTRN thread:

The quote from the mastering engineer was pretty telling...

I've also read that Metallica was in Europe when the album was mixed, so they let someone else do a majority of the work without them in the room, which sounds insane to me. For a band that is usually so involved and protective of their work to let someone mix their album without them being present sounds way out of character. But hey, whatever... At least there's a decent version floating around!

is the decent version available in FLAC?

Yup... Torrents are floating around. Sadly you must bring yourself to include Guitar Hero in your search to find the right one.

There are also two versions of "Suicide and Redemption" in the .flac with J.H. for one with a James Hetfield solo based one and with K.H. for a Kirk Hammett solo based one. My experience leads me to believe I'll prefer the J.H. one.

Well, just listening to the 320 kbps .mp3s, the difference is pretty staggering. For those of you that like the music on the album, this should do wonders for your enjoyment. It won't change things if you don't care for the songs anyway... There are differences, but they're subtle... But it's definitely worth the DL if you're even on the fence about the album.

Well, just listening to the 320 kbps .mp3s, the difference is pretty staggering. For those of you that like the music on the album, this should do wonders for your enjoyment. It won't change things if you don't care for the songs anyway... There are differences, but they're subtle... But it's definitely worth the DL if you're even on the fence about the album.

That's great.

It was pretty appalling listening to needle drops of the MFSL vinyl that sounded worse than the CD :palm: