Any thoughts/experiences with RVG Blue Note remasters?

Salt Peanuts

I was wondering if anyone here had any experiences with RVG Blue Note remasters? I've been looking to re-acquire some Bud Powell recordings and RVG remasters popped up doing the search.

I vaguely remember someone commenting on it here in the past, but "RVG" was too short for the forum software to search.

They have to be taken on a case by case basis. Some are horribly over-compressed. Some sound decent enough and some sound good. In many cases, they are the only versions available in a digital format. However, when there is a choice, I prefer the non-RVG editions as.

I used to be HIGHLY against RVG remasters but as I have listened to more of them I guess you really have no choice but to go on a case by case basis. The Blue Train RVG is among the worst remasters I have seen and heard.

Anyway, in short, it's a gamble. EdipisReks is right, they are ok, but not as good as OJC's or other remasters available on vinyl, SACD or CD.

they are ok, but not as good as OJC's or other remasters available on vinyl, SACD or CD.

Luis, I've noticed that OJC has been issuing a new series of "Orin Keepnews" edition remasters of OJC titles. Do you have an opinion on how those sound compared to the earlier CD releases?

Some people question these, because the master copies of all the jazz albums were hauled off to a storage facility, and the one guy who knew how they were categorized/stored was let go. So it remains in question if these new Keepnews releases are taken from the correct master tapes, and not some close second or third copy.

I'd recommend going for OJC, with a proven track record. I've got a ton of them and only disliked the audio quality of 3 or 4. And those were simply very, very old recordings that were flawed to begin with.

Luis, I've noticed that OJC has been issuing a new series of "Orin Keepnews" edition remasters of OJC titles. Do you have an opinion on how those sound compared to the earlier CD releases?

You know, I heard about these but I am VERY skeptical to say the least. I have yet to purchase one. I think I might just for research purposes. ;)

Some people question these, because the master copies of all the jazz albums were hauled off to a storage facility, and the one guy who knew how they were categorized/stored was let go. So it remains in question if these new Keepnews releases are taken from the correct master tapes, and not some close second or third copy.

I'd recommend going for OJC, with a proven track record. I've got a ton of them and only disliked the audio quality of 3 or 4. And those were simply very, very old recordings that were flawed to begin with.

Your completely right and I echo your opinion. It was a bad move to not only move them to a storage facility but it was even worse firing the ONLY guy who knew how the system was kept and how it was all put together. It's also the exact same reason I am so skeptical about the new remasters.

If you want the best remasters of OJC titles, then buy the 45RPM vinyl pressings that Hoffman and Gray did (aka The Fantasy 45 series).

The OJC's, FWIW, are nearly perfect. Most only require a little bit of polishing to be perfect. Yes, there are some that sound bad, but, as you mentioned, they are usually very old tapes or rare historical performances that got captured on less that perfect equipment. I love OJC's and I truly wish I owned their entire catalog. I can't recommend them enough.

Yeah, OJC has some holes in their artist catalog. Actually, it seems that Blue Note artists are the ones most lacking. So like LFF said earlier, in some cases RVG is your only option, unless there is some rare import version for that particular album.

I'm still trying to get all the OJC discs I can manage, but occasionally take breaks to get artists not found in OJC at all. I've really been digging some stuff from Concord.

edit: oh and the Fantasy series of vinyl is fantastic, as LFF mentioned.

Yeah, OJC has some holes in their artist catalog. Actually, it seems that Blue Note artists are the ones most lacking. So like LFF said earlier, in some cases RVG is your only option, unless there is some rare import version for that particular album.

I'm still trying to get all the OJC discs I can manage, but occasionally take breaks to get artists not found in OJC at all. I've really been digging some stuff from Concord.

edit: oh and the Fantasy series of vinyl is fantastic, as LFF mentioned.

Mr. Baguette brings up a GREAT point. IMPORT CD'S!!!!! While we might only have the RVG edition here in the states (and only in mono), over in Japan or the UK they might have a different version with better mastering, in stereo and with bonus tracks to boot. It may be worth your while to check on amazon.co.uk or check internet import sites if your looking for a particular artist that is only available as an RVG edition.

Mr. Baguette brings up a GREAT point. IMPORT CD'S!!!!! While we might only have the RVG edition here in the states (and only in mono), over in Japan or the UK they might have a different version with better mastering, in stereo and with bonus tracks to boot. It may be worth your while to check on amazon.co.uk or check internet import sites if your looking for a particular artist that is only available as an RVG edition.

Good point. I just checked amazon.co.jp and found just about all Powell recordings I'm looking for from Toshiba/EMI.

Good point. I just checked amazon.co.jp and found just about all Powell recordings I'm looking for from Toshiba/EMI.

AWESOME! I always forget to mention that in threads like these. Import CD's can be worth their weight in gold sometimes. Most Japan Toshiba/EMI stuff is mastered really well. However, be careful with shipping charges and import fees. ;)

Unfortunately, OJC doesn't have what are considered to be Bud Powell's best works. Of course, that won't mean I won't be picking them up to add to my collection.

I really was hoping some of Powell recordings will be included in the Hoffman Blue Note reissues, but no luck. :sadcat:

Haj which Bud Powell recordings were you looking to get?

SH has (had?) a decent on going thread for RVG releases.

oh, come now, very few are like that. here is the eponymous track from the RVG of Grant Green's - Idle Moments, as a rebuttal:

idlemomentszr7.png

idlemomentszr7.b0bb4bb665.jpg

I know. That's why I said it's on a case by case basis.

The picture was to show why I think that the RVG Blue Train sucks. :)

I have a handful of RVGs (some Griffins, Turrentines, Drews). For the most part they have a nice sense of space but are a bit bright. The Griffins in particular I have to listen to at a lower volume. Of course I much, much prefer either Hoffman stuff or Acoustech stuff.

I have a handful of RVGs (some Griffins, Turrentines, Drews). For the most part they have a nice sense of space but are a bit bright.

That (emphasized top end) seems to be the general opinion regarding Powell RVG remasters over on SH. I guess I'll be importing them from amazon Japan - ~$100 shipped for 5 cd's is bit painful, though. Along with possible import fees.

• 1 year later...
You know, I heard about these but I am VERY skeptical to say the least. I have yet to purchase one. I think I might just for research purposes. ;)

Your completely right and I echo your opinion. It was a bad move to not only move them to a storage facility but it was even worse firing the ONLY guy who knew how the system was kept and how it was all put together. It's also the exact same reason I am so skeptical about the new remasters.

If you want the best remasters of OJC titles, then buy the 45RPM vinyl pressings that Hoffman and Gray did (aka The Fantasy 45 series).

The OJC's, FWIW, are nearly perfect. Most only require a little bit of polishing to be perfect. Yes, there are some that sound bad, but, as you mentioned, they are usually very old tapes or rare historical performances that got captured on less that perfect equipment. I love OJC's and I truly wish I owned their entire catalog. I can't recommend them enough.

I went on the OJC website and could not find many jazz LPs available. Do you know where to find them?