"Budget" record cleaning machines

deepak

I think it's time for me to finally pick up a RCM. I've been using a dry brush mostly because all the vinyl I buy is new, but I'm starting to buy more and more used.

Any suggestions? A used VPI HW-16 looks like a decent option that can always be upgraded to the HW-16.5, but I have no idea if the older model had any problems. Any comments, suggestions, or other recommendations? Thanks.

it has been awhile, but i believe the main thing the 16 didn't have was a drain, which could create (stinky) problems as one can imagine and why VPI now offers the $69 upgrade. as to the differences between a true 16.5 and an upgraded one, i haven't a clue. so calling VPI or a longtime authorized dealer to find out would be wise. also, play the prudent buyer role as i do know most sellers don't readily bring it up, some play dumb or just don't know. also i believe the older models came with a foam mat glued to the platter instead of the newer easily replaceable cork ones.

I went from a vinyl cleaning situation similar to what you describe to a VPI HW-16.5 about five years ago. The only difference is that my six feet of vinyl is primarily original issue from the 60s, 70s, and 80s and benefited greatly from having residual release agents removed. At the time, I compared the different VPI models and the Nitty Gritty models and picked the 16.5. Did not expect how good it would be or how much it would improve sound quality. Very well made and solid; I felt badly for having used my different turntable's motors to turn the LPs against the brush for three decades. Came with a decent brush as well. The wet cleaning action is pretty amazing. I couple a wet cleaning (with my own cleaning solution formulation) with an application of LAST's record preservative. The result might be described as clean, sweet, and highly detailed. You are going to be impressed.

I had a VPI and wouldn't own one again. In my opinion, it's a flawed design. First, you put a dirty side down on the mat and clean the top side. Then the clean top side goes right back down on the dirty mat. Everyone disputes this, but I compared side-by-side to my current RCM and it's night and day. Whatever, I have no desire to get into a pissing match over this, but usually VPI (not RCM, all VPI products in general) buy one then tout it as the greatest thing ever and really have no basis for these claims as they then refused to try anything else.

Anyways, I would look elsewhere. :)

luv,

I used "The RCM" the Keith Monks Record Cleaning Machine, a side-up cleaning machine, so I am assuming your "RCM" is not such an animal but a Nitty-Gritty. If not, is there another type of side-down cleaner?

The only negative I've heard wrt the Nitty-Gritty is it's a bit messy, the cleaning fluid on the bottom-side dips onto the work surface so you need a towel or drip tray underneath. But other than that it works just fine and the base model is affordable. I also agree with the recontaminating issue.

The only negative I've heard wrt the Nitty-Gritty is it's a bit messy, the cleaning fluid on the bottom-side dips onto the work surface so you need a towel or drip tray underneath. But other than that it works just fine and the base model is affordable. I also agree with the recontaminating issue.

yeah, i have a NG 2.5Fi. No issues at all with it being messy, all self-contained, so this must be a complaint with the cheaper NG models.

The messiness that I've read about with the Nitty Gritty (at least the cheaper ones) is what made me less interested I guess.

But using a VPI with two matts or disposable covers (something like rice paper cutouts that are placed over the matt) makes sense as well.

yeah, i have a NG 2.5Fi. No issues at all with it being messy, all self-contained, so this must be a complaint with the cheaper NG models.

Have you ever had the 2.5 damage labels?

Edited by deepak

Have you ever had the 2.5 damage labels?

nope.. I guess peoople are having issues with the cleaning fluid getting on the labels? I don't really see how this could happen, as there isn't anything mechanical that would mess with the labels...

as for the VPI, yes you can do 2 mats. It didn't work for me, as it's hard to store the mats in a way that they don't get contaminated. This was the problem for me at least.

I have the VPI 16.5 and it really works very well.

I usually dry brush the very filthy records (from the record store) before putting them on the 16.5. Have not had any issues with stuff transfering from the cork mat back onto the record or into the record grooves.

I use the Audio Intelligent all-in-one fluid and it seems to work very well.

First, you put a dirty side down on the mat and clean the top side. Then the clean top side goes right back down on the dirty mat.

You might notice that if you look at your LPs they are thicker both at the rim and at the label. 78s are even thickness all across and 45s have no rim, but LPs are thicker at the rim and at the label. Always have been. Something you can count on and engineer upon.

I keep my VPI's mat clear of goobers; with the cover it's not hard to keep the mat perfectly clean. If you clamp down an LP with both the rim and the label supported, as the VPI mat diameter provides for, the grooved music area is not in contact with the mat. No contact, no contamination. No issue.

With the VPI, keeping cleaning solution off the label is also a piece of cake..