Audio Alchemy DAC specs

Pars

quick pull from wiki

# DDE 1.0

# DDE 1.1

# DDE 1.2 - 20-bit, HDCD, TOSLink/BNC/XLR/I2s inputs (similar to DDE 3.0)

# DDE 2.0 - TOSLink/3xBNC inputs

# DDE 3.0 - 20-bit, HDCD, TOSLink/BNC/I2s inputs (optional dithering and remote control processor)

seems like the 1.2 and the 3.0 are the ones with the PMD100

My understanding is that the main difference between DDE v1.2 and v3.0 is the output stage. The 1.2 has a pretty traditional opamp setup, while the 3.0 has a funky passive I/V, discrete buffer, passive multipole LPF, then opamp stage with discrete output buffer. 1.2 does the -6dB attenuation in analog, by changing the gain, while 3.0 does it in the PMD100. Here are schematics for the DDE v3.0, but I have never seen ones for the 1.2, so all my information on that one is hearsay.

• 4 months later...
Anyone have pointers to the differences between AA DACs, particularly the DDE series (1.0, 1.3 is it?, 3.0, etc.) I'd like to pick something up (cheap) with AD1862 DACs and PMD100 that I could play with (ouput stage, etc.).

quick pull from wiki

seems like the 1.2 and the 3.0 are the ones with the PMD100

Pars, I have a 1.2 sitting here gathering dust. If you're interested PM me, I'm sure we can come to an agreement.

Can't help you on specs, but I owned a 1.1 and a 1.2 at one point. I actually preferred the 1.1...it was more punchy & neutral while the 1.2 had a more warmish sound, although the 1.2 sounded better with HDCDs.

It's surprising to me that there are so many 1.2s around at the moment...back when I was looking, they were somewhat rare.

Pars, I have a 1.2 sitting here gathering dust. If you're interested PM me, I'm sure we can come to an agreement.

Steve,

Thanks for the offer, let me think about it after buying another Rotel... I always wanted to hear something using AD1862s (and the PMD100), those being Jocko's fav. dac chips :eek: