They're here

hirsch

WEll their out of the box for me so please take these impressions with a grain of salt. but having received so many Grados new I can come up with a fair "out of the box" comparo..lol

these sound to me like John wanted the 701 sound, cause these are reminding a lot like them..only with little grado sound to it. I would take a guess if you like the 701 sound you'll like these also...big time.

usually Grados out of the box are very forward and fun, a addicting type of fun in your face sound..but these are not. these are easy and laid back, reminds me of the g08 compared to the 588 difference. the other grados are the 588 with a great sound but throwing everything in your face, the g08 just lays all the sound on the table and lets you pick from what you want to focus on. that's how the gs-1000's are to me now (8:12pm first day..lol).

I can talk about brightness cause I am not sure if its me not used to the padding or the un burned in sound of them now..their not silver 325 bright that's for sure but their not dark and sonic covering as the rs-1's. they are very weird for a GRado can...Can not put my finger on it now but they remind me of the 701 for some reason a lot...lot lot

the bass now to me is the biggest difference, not a impact in your face bass, its not at all like that.

the reason why I said these need to be played at certain volumes cause they give up at anything higher, just the air threw your lips sound on bass parts if the volume is to high.

5687.. I dont think you have to worry about playing them to loud, you know I like my headphones at very very high levels, your sound to me is a mid/low volume to me..youll be fine with these headphones at that..easily.

oh the leather on the headband is different then the rs-1/rs-2 i have seen or have now..the rs-1 is a soft and dull leather, the leather on the gs1000 is shiny and hard..almost like my black 325 headband leather..the headband seems to be more supported in the padding dept also.

p.s.

no spell check..lol

WEll their out of the box for me so please take these impressions with a grain of salt. but having received so many Grados new I can come up with a fair "out of the box" comparo..lol

these sound to me like John wanted the 701 sound, cause these are reminding a lot like them..only with little grado sound to it. I would take a guess if you like the 701 sound you'll like these also...big time.

usually Grados out of the box are very forward and fun, a addicting type of fun in your face sound..but these are not. these are easy and laid back, reminds me of the g08 compared to the 588 difference. the other grados are the 588 with a great sound but throwing everything in your face, the g08 just lays all the sound on the table and lets you pick from what you want to focus on. that's how the gs-1000's are to me now (8:12pm first day..lol).

So are they more laid back than the PS-1?

I've had them for several days, and have yet to say anything about the GS1000 sound and still am not ready to start talking. This is a headphone that requires a healthy burn-in period before it starts showing its real sound. Initial sound had nothing to do with how the headphone is sounding now. Once I'm convinced the burn-in is over, and I've actually got something to say about how the headphone sounds, I'll start talking about it. In the meantime, let's just say that it is very unlikely that I'll need to use the 30-day return privilege ;)

OMG

15hours in on them and OMG...they are coming out..holy shit..

Ok these are the 15hour impressions..cause they deserve it.

the bass bloomed out more, a lot more. at first the gs1000 had bass like my w5000's or the sony sa5 i heard..its there but nothing to place it you know? the bass just happens.

well now the bass is there, not only that its weird cause its on a three level way of coming out..or it seems. the bass can come from the lower,mid,higher up on the ear pad..weird.

I am still getting a whisper lip effect when the bass comes from heavy tracks..but less of it. I heard rumors this will clear up once more hours get tacked on.

the sound stage..

image your sitting in a huge room and instead of listening to the music you see the sonic's fly not only around you but in circles at different highs...that's close to what i got now off the gs1000.

Then again its only 15 hours man...that's crazy.

I have the w5000's completely their last 3 days of burn in and then the gs1000 goes in the room for burn in. I might hook up another source/amp to burn both in..not sure yet.

I can tell you this...

after burn in either I will completely dislike them and think their worthless or they will come out above any can grado ever sold...not sure which one it is cause its to early to tell.

That's a fair outlook. It's like the HD650 - it goes crazy during burn in until it settles down after a few hundred hours. But the GS1000 sounds like it's doing that at 10 times the rate hehe - Grado drivers do always seem to break in quicker!

That's because they're dipped is mysterious conditioning liquids, right? I seem to remember some reference to such treatments somewhere.

Ask Rhydon about that one, comes with some interesting motions, after which you'll get uneasy feelings about wearing them. ;D

I'm still not sure if I've heard the headphone that I listened to at the National Meet. At that meet, I tried driving the GS1000 with my modded EMP rig. No love, there was not enough gain (rig was fine with L3000 that normally lives there). Fine, not a problem. However, production version runs out of that rig with no efficiency issues at all. I have no idea what's up with this. If I had to guess, I'd have to say that the production version is more efficient than the prototype...but why? I've got no clue at all.

In any event, I've gotten close, but never recaptured what I heard at the National Meet. So, the GS1000 is going back to Todd. This is not a knock, just my feelings at this time. I actually did the same thing with the first RS-1 I bought, and now keep two around. However, I'm going to need a way to get the midrange out of that headphone, while keeping the highs and lows intact. Relative to almost any other of my headphones, the midrange sounds thin at my listening volume. Staging is very nice, and if you're not a midrange freak, this could be magic. However, to my ears, the mids are where most of the music lives, and if that's not right, I can't get no (satisfaction). There's just not the right sense of "palpability", for lack of a better word. Instruments aren't real to me through the GS1000. Until that issue is resolved, it hasn't really found a place in my rig. PS-1 is still the King Grado, IMO.