Beginner USB DAC + amp one-box?

Fungi

Is it too ambitious of a beginner project to try and do like, a BantamDAC and Mini^3 or Pimeta in a single enclosure? Note that my experience with casework and surface mount soldering is zero, not even having made either standalone.

I think the casework is going to be the hardest part of this, based on what I've read from past DIY stuff, and I guess the question boils down to "is the casework for two-in-one a bad idea to do before doing a single?" if I'm not mistaken.

Casework for two-in-one isn't going to be any more difficult than two separate cases IMO. At a minimum, you can fumble through it, it will look like crap, and it will still be functional.

But your first go at surface mount soldering being a PCM2702? *whistles* That would be very ambitious......

Is it too ambitious of a beginner project to try and do like, a BantamDAC and Mini^3 or Pimeta in a single enclosure? Note that my experience with casework and surface mount soldering is zero, not even having made either standalone.

I think the casework is going to be the hardest part of this, based on what I've read from past DIY stuff, and I guess the question boils down to "is the casework for two-in-one a bad idea to do before doing a single?" if I'm not mistaken.

It's certainly been done.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

But yes, you are correct in assuming that the casework is probably the most challenging bit, especially if overall size has to be limited. Some parts of the Alien DAC can also be tricky if you are not all that familiar with SMD soldering.

Good call, they claim that it's ok driving headphones directly and would probably suffice as a decent office amp/dac if you don't mind software manipulation of the volume.

Yep, although I haven't used it directly with headphones. It would also allow for some upgrade path.... use the module as a DAC then later it could be used as a USB receiver with an Opus or Buffalo. If the OP configured it right, they could even leave enough vertical room to stack modules later and still keep it in a relatively small case (although one would need to have an outboard PS in that situation).

I think I have a pair of PIMETAs that are basically finished. You could use the pair of them and make a balanced PIMETA, if you are at all interested :) I also have a toroid and I think a single TREAD. So, you'd have to buy a second TREAD, which is a fantastic first project. If you are at all interested, let me know and I can post pics.