DIY Power Cable Reccomendation

Augsburger

Well as a natural progression in this hobby, I find myself with more gear than power cords. In the past I have built power cords with 12 GA wire from Ram Electronics and VH Audio but the ones I have built are too damn stiff. All of my gear sits fairly close to the wall so I need a flexible medium weight cable for my power cord builds. I looked at the bulk cable offered at Take Five and Sonic Craft but they are a little on the expensive side and too heavy to stay properly seated in the IEC.

Any recommendations for bulk cable would be appreciated.

Go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and look at their bulk wire rack. You should be able to find some nice 14-3 indoor use cable that will work well. You'll still be stuck buying the connectors online if you want decent looking stuff. That is unless you've got a Pass&Seymor (sp?) distributor near by, then all you'll be stuck looking for is the IEC plugs. I'll try to get you the part number for the bulk wire that I've used but I think you'll find it easily enough. Just don't get the exterior grade stuff, it's garden hose thick and stiff.

Also, I have a standing 10% discount at Take Five so if you want to wait a bit I can add some parts to my order and save you a little off list prices. :) I like the Marinco connectors, they're about as cheap as you'll find and IIRC they are actually rebranded and marked up significantly by more than one other man'f. Schurter also makes nice IEC plugs for less than the Marinco version.

Thanks Nate, I'll take you up on that offer to piggyback on your next Take Five order. I have purchased RCAs and IC cable from Take Five in the past with great results; the additional discount would help because I need three 2 meter power cords and all those Marinco IEC and plugs will add up.

Bob Crump's Asylum Power cord over on AA is pretty good and should be fairly inexpensive. I couldn't find a pointer to original posting, but it used Belden 19364 14ga power cable, a Pass and Seymour 5266x plug and a Schurter 4300.0603 IEC end. I've found the P&S plugs at Menards (midwest chain kinda like Home Depot, etc.). The Schurter IEC I've gotten from Mouser.

Cable Asylum: Re: DIY Power Cord (Bob Crump) Follow up ?'s.... by rcrump

Thanks for all the responses. The Belden 19364 bulk cable is pretty reasonable I just wasn't sure if the quality was decent enough, evidently you all think it is so that may be the direction I will go.

It's good enough for me, that much I know. Sounds like you have enough stuff to order that you don't need to wait for my next order. If you want to shoot me a PM with everything you'd like to order I can place it for you and have it shipped direct to whatever address you want (at least I'm pretty sure I can).