What can you tell me about 5AR4/GZ34 rectifiers?

recstar24

I have always been curious by what appears to be a wide variety and diversity in the various permutations of the above rectifier tube. They seem to come in all forms of mullards and rebranded mullards as well as philips, with fancy bases and logos and others that are more basic pedestrian looking, all seeming to garner outrageous prices and others being more modest. I have never even bothered to roll or even think about the concept of the rectifier having an impact on the sound signature, probably due to spite. Feel free to share your thoughts and experiences.

I've had perfectly good luck with reasonable, non-NOS 5AR4s. But you do have to be aware that with some of the new production stuff that you do run a risk. JJ had a whole batch of bad 5AR4s that when arcy/sparky if run anywhere near their limits.

Ouch - arcy/sparky no goody with headphones and single driver speakers:palm:

• 1 month later...

Well curiosity killed the cat, and I bit on a metal gz34, the price was right and I figured it would be a nice experiment. Have been listening for the past 2 hours and I don't think its a sonic revelation or anything, but it looks nice for sure. Since my moth has the bias volt meters I did observe that the tubes started to bias up sooner than my rca/mullard gz34 (which I am aware is not necessarily a good or bad thing), so it appears on 1st glance the mullard i had in there had a slower startup time. Ah well...:palm: