Macbook Pro won't wake up

My Macbook Pro (2.4Ghz, 2GB, factory refurb, bought May 2008 ) won't wake up out of sleep mode. The Superdrive will spin up (picture CD is still in the drive) but I can't get it to reboot. I've tried the PRAM keystroke and reseting the power management and nothing works.

I've scheduled a Genius bar session at my local store on Thursday night but I was wondering if anyone on here has run into this before :confused:

Right now is when it sucks to only have a computer as a source :palm:

Yup, happened to me on my refurb (purchased 11 or 12/07) MBP. Geniuses confirmed dead logic board...got it back with a dead Airport card...ended up with a replacement brand new MBP. Sucked overall, though.

Hopefully you bought Applecare, or are on good terms with your local Geniuses.

Yup, happened to me on my refurb (purchased 11 or 12/07) MBP. Geniuses confirmed dead logic board...got it back with a dead Airport card...ended up with a replacement brand new MBP. Sucked overall, though.

Hopefully you bought Applecare, or are on good terms with your local Geniuses.

No Applecare :palm::palm::palm:

Maybe they will have mercy on me since it is only a month out of warranty??

Edit: I'm guessing yours was covered under Warranty/Applecare?

No Applecare :palm::palm::palm:

Maybe they will have mercy on me since it is only a month out of warranty??

Edit: I'm guessing yours was covered under Warranty/Applecare?

Yeah, mine was covered under Applecare. It went out somewhere around the 1yr mark.

It is very possible that they will have mercy on you. I mean, they have the power to do so, the trick is making them want to lol. "I thought about buying Applecare, but Macs have always been so reliable..." maybe? I had a refurb Macbook that wasn't charging the battery and the initial diagnosis was mainboard....2 months out of warranty. I was talking about how I wanted to buy Applecare, but I just forgot about it...the Genius does some typing and bam, 1 year extension on my warranty....which I think just ended lol.

Just be very polite at the Genius Bar. It's not like this is an unknown issue and there's probably a pretty decent chance they'll take care of you out of warranty.

That's my plan. I hope it works. Of course the other part of my plan is to start looking for a cd player with a digital in :)

Just got back from the store. No luck on the back-dating Applecare. They do have a repair service called "Apple Depot" now. They charge a flat rate $310 + tax. The genius said I could send it to official Apple repair and they would charge me whatever the cost is, i.e. ~$700 for a new logic board. Once I get it back (TAT 1 week) I will have a 90 day warranty on the parts. Makes me wonder how they make money doing this, unless they get poor suckers out of warranty to send in a laptop with bad RAM :confused: Oh well, I got out for less than the price of Applecare, although that would have been a much better result.

Now I'm without music for a week :'(

Got my Macbook Pro back today. As expected they replaced the logic board. They also conveniently formated my hard drive :mad: Although this is mostly my fault since it has been way too long since I backed up computer.

Oh well, I got is fixed for fairly cheap and the turn around time wasn't bad.

yeah always a good idea to take out the hard drive before sending a laptop in. i hope they didn't end up charging $700 or whatever you mentioned earlier in the thread, that'd be completely absurd for replacing a $100 part.

yeah always a good idea to take out the hard drive before sending a laptop in. i hope they didn't end up charging $700 or whatever you mentioned earlier in the thread, that'd be completely absurd for replacing a $100 part.

No, only $310. To buy the board myself would have been $600-700 from a reputable parts house (I didn't check on eBay). I'm just happy to have my computer back. I'll buy Applecare before my warranty runs out next time for sure.