Looking at Full-size headphones... help me out

phishhead92

Hey yall im new to this forum but i have started to become and audiophile through the years (ever since i started listening to music (im 17 now) and i already own a pair of etymotyc reaserch ER-6i's and i really enjoy them for on the go. but i would like something for home, ive been looking through headphone.com but idk what to get

im looking for a nice true bass, crisp mids, decent highs, can be noise cancelling but doesnt have to be. and all under 200$ (250$ okay but pushing it)

also i have looked at some desktop/portable amps for my computer and ipod you can give suggestions for this but keep it around 150$(as i do not have a stereo system)

any ideas??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not particularly experienced with a wide range of phones like many around here, and I can't offer many points of comparison...... but something like my old combo of Audio Technica ATH-AD900 and a Corda 3Move would be a pretty good start, and a good step up from your ER-6i straight from the iPod.

If you want to get adventurous, you could see what the going rate is on a y1 Lite/Mini3 combo. Should blow the 3Move out of the water......

alright thanks, i didnt see that on headphone.com do have suggestions for a good website too?

also i noticed in your signature you have a DAC, are those worth the money? im trying to get an extremely nice desktop setup as well as phones

Where do you live? /shifty eyebrows :P

cleveland, OH why? also go to school up in NH (boarding school)

cleveland, OH why? also go to school up in NH (boarding school)

You missed a recent area meet but keep an eye here for future meets to try out headphones and discover what you like by actually hearing things: Local / Regional Head-Fi Meets, Parties, Get-Togethers - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

The next big meet in your area is ChiUnifi in Chicago (if you can make it that far) in November.

If you use computer as a main source, then I would 100% recommend FS: XP AMP + GAMMA DAC USB Combo - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

For the price, you definitely cant do any better

with any headphones you want

how does this thing work, do you fiddle with the settings in a program, like i just see one knob, and im guessing its volume?

oh alright, thanks guys so much, i think i have i am goint to get the

XP amp/Gamma DAC -> grado SR-60i

does this sound good? if not i was looking at this, its an extra 40 bucks but its the portable one too

HeadRoom Total BitHead @ HeadRoom

im not sure if its better or worse, guidence?

edit: what is a squeezebox?

The HeadRoom Bithead is a relative sidegrade from the 3Move - don't waste your time/money. Stick with what you already have and maybe plan to upgrade later to the HeadAmp Pico DAC/amp ($500) when you have more money which will be a real upgrade.

As for headphones, you're going to have to buy blind unless you can find local people to audition stuff. Every headphone sounds different and only your ears will tell you what sounds good to you.

When it comes to closed headphones under <$200, I like the Audio-Technica ES7, it's a decent all-rounder. But you should hear it for yourself of course. HeadRoom doesn't sell the ES7 but you can order one from Amazon or AudioCubes. Also the ES7 isn't full-size, it's supra-aural (rests on the ears, not around them) if that matters. Not sure you would like the ES7 though if you really like your Etymotic IEMs, as the two will probably sound very different from each other (based on what I've read about Etys).