The ultimate DIY? A Stax SRM-T2!

spritzer

Geez - I've just spent five hours (a) fitting the DACT and (B) fitting half the transistors to the heatsinks (just the 20-off c3675's).

Gotta get it more or less finished tomorrow - wife and daughter have gone to Rhodes (I hate hot holidays; I'm a cool climate guy) so I've been using the week as play time. They come back Wednesday, and will expect to find the house not looking like an electronics production shop floor.

here Craig, use this:

??

On other topics, I was merrily torquing down the devices on the amp board, with the torque screwdriver set to the correct value of 1.1Nm for TO220 packages. I then moved on to the 2SA1486's - and promptly split the first one in two.

Then I checked - the maximum torque for a TO126 package is 0.4Nm, and use of a washer under the screw head is recommended to further spread the load.

Taking those remedial actions all is OK.

By the way, I have gone back to using steel screws, but with the Aavid 7721-3PPSG bushes. These have a 3.18mm (1/8") shaft, which goes pretty much all the way through the 4171G ceramic insulators. The steel screws mean that you can get the torque set for maximum heat transfer (with heatsink grease too of course). The 7721-3PPSG is a slip-fit in some device holes and a tight interference fit in others - tolerance stack up I guess. Also, they cannot be used for metric screws because the hole is not quite big enough - so for that insulating bush those of us in metric countries need to get hold of the imperial 4/40 screws and nuts specified in the BOM.

What I am doing with the 2SA1468's is to put a 4.7mm length of heatshrink over the threads of the 4/40 screws. This makes a nice fit in the device hole. 4.7mm goes most of the way through the ceramic insulator.

What I am doing with the 2SA1468's is to put a 4.7mm length of heatshrink over the threads of the 4/40 screws. This makes a nice fit in the device hole. 4.7mm goes most of the way through the ceramic insulator.

this seems totally unnecessary to me. It's a plastic package after all, why are you using ceramic insulators again?

For those interested here are the prices. It really only makes sense if i do another 20 piece board run.

power supply board quantity 5 $157 each

quantity 10 $97 each

quantity 20 $61 each

amp board quantity 5 $242 each

quantity 10 $166 each

quantity 20 $102 each

so prices did go up ever so slightly due to increase in sales tax.

which makes a set of boards quantity 5 $399

quantity 10 $263

quantity 20 $163