Speakers for $1000?

humanflyz

So I figure I would get better responses posting this question here instead of at head-fi, because you guys probably have more experience with speakers. So like the title says, what speakers would you recommend at $1000, new or used?

My room size is a 10x12x10 (WxLxH). The one thing I don't want is for the sound to be too overwhelming, and I definitely do not want boomy bass. There will not be a subwoofer. Also, I haven't decided whether to arrange the speakers on the long-wall or the short-wall yet. Right now all I'm looking for are just some suggestions. I don't know what I will be amping them with yet, I'll start looking into amps once I decide on something. My source will be a Lavry DA10. Thanks. ;D

No sub? That rules out the Spendor S3/5...

A used Quad 21L or 22L. I'll think about it some more, to see if I can't come up with some better suggestions. For new, maybe a Vandersteen 1C? I haven't heard it myself, but I've heard their higher end models.

Are those exact measurements? See, the problem is, 10 feet and 12 feet are both multiples of 2 feet, so you're going to have problems with resonances. You may seriously want to consider "treating" the room. (Google on "ethan winer".)

Thanks for that suggestion Grawk. In honesty, I am a speaker n00b, so I don't know what constitutes "poor acoustics", but I assume that the acoustics in my room won't be optimal since it's part of an apartment complex that was built fairly long ago. My floor is carpeted, and my walls are made from regular plywood.

Unfortunately my only experience with under $1000 speakers is the Energy C3 & C1 bookshelf speakers, and it was also quite some time ago so I can't remember them all that well.

But in terms of room setup, you're not nearly as badly off as you think. The Decware site has an article on setting up crappy rooms, and strange as it sounds the diagonal setup really does work. Do a search on Head-fi using "room" as keyword, "gopher" as the user, and select "amplification" in the forums to search. The thread you're looking for was started by Gopher with 14 replies, it's about setting up a room.

Is this a dedicated listening room? Or does the room have alternate uses? What?s going to be in the room? It?s a small room, so what is going into it will dramatically effect what speakers could be used, or should be used.

The other thing is that if you don?t have an amp yet, you should really be shopping for both speakers and amp in unison. They work together, what you have for one certainly effects what you should get for the other.

So perhaps a better question might be; What amp and speakers would you recommend for X dollars?

Could you use the Aleph for speakers as well? The Aleph series are my favorite Pass Labs amps.

Given the size and room constraints I?d seriously look for a high quality small to mid-size bookshelf. Pro Ac, B&W, Aerial, PSB, Paradigm all make decent bookshelf speakers. Don?t skimp on the stands, stands have a huge impact on the overall sound quality of stand mounted speakers.

@Yikes:

I probably will use the Aleph as speaker-amps until I find a suitable amp, but my ultimate goal would be to find another amp, because I don't want to switch back and forth between my K1000s and speakers. Speaking of Paradigm, there's a dealer in my area, so I'll check it out.

On a side note, has anyone had any experience with Ohm speakers, specifically the MicroWalsh Tall?

@TheSloth:

Yeah, I'm looking at the Omega speakers, but there are just so many choices for a n00b :'( that it's overwhelming at times.

You need to be quite specific in exactly what you are looking for. Every speaker, especially at that pricepoint, is a trade-off of some kind or other. Maybe if you characterised what aspects of speaker performance are most important to you, we could be more helpful.

The reasons I suggested the Omegas are as follows:

1. They are floorstanding so you don't worry about stands.

2. They are very narrow front to back, therefore allowing you to get maximum distance from both the back wall and your listenin position in your small room.

3. They are single driver, which to me is particularly important for nearfield listening, as well as in general.

4. In my similar sized room their bass output is pretty good even for large scale classical music.

5. They are quite amp friendly..

Right, the characteristics I'm looking for are as follows:

1) Transparency is very important to me, I want to hear what's on the disc.

2) Tonally balanced: I don't like it when certain frequencies are over-emphasized in relation to the others

3) Bass: I'd choose extension over impact if I have to choose.

4) Soundstage & imaging: don't have to have an ultra-big soundstage, just something that images decently and can give me some illusion of being there.

@TheSloth:

Since you recommend the Omegas, have you owned them personally?

@TheSloth:

Sweet, mind giving me some impressions? And judging from that picture, are you amping them with a Sophia Baby?

The amp is temporary (and for sale actually if anyone wants it) until my RWA Sig. 30 arrives, probably next week.

I'm very impressed with them - amazing imaging, coherence, and even bass output despite that tiny 41/2" driver. They aren't well burned in yet, and fostex drivers take for ever to relax, and maybe never really do, so I'm not certain how smooth they will end up - they are just very slightly edgy in the upper midrange right now (think K701). Louis is working on a hemp-design cone as a drop in replacement which is due very soon, and I'll certainly be getting a pair of those, so I'll report back as things develop.

First single driver dynamics I've heard, and their coherence and stability, as well as tone (with the exception of the upper mids) does remind me of the QUAD ESL's I used to have room for. A very serious pair of speakers indeed, and I think they also make an interesting counterpoint in the speakers vs. headphones $ value debate.

@TheSloth:

Thanks for the impressions. I'm pretty sure I won't hear the edge you mentioned in the upper-midrange, since I didn't hear that when I had the K701s. I would be really interested to read your impressions once you get the Signature 30.

I'm quite interested too as I get the impression that despite their 93dB/W sensitivity, the 10Wpc Sophia is a little underpowered. The drivers are a bit more complicated than they seem in that they have impedance peaks of nearly 25ohms in the midbass, and increasing impedance back up to the 25ohm mark through the treble.