K601 vs. K701

Vicious Tyrant

there were some K701's at the Saratoga meet, and there was at least one K601. I didn't listen to the K601, but from what the majority has been saying, they are pretty much the same, along with the K601's fitting their heads better.

I didn't care much for the K701's though.... :) so probably not the K601's either.

• 2 weeks later...

The rep at the Saratoga meet was the differences between the K701 & K601 were "slight". I didn't hear them then, but last night I was at Voltrons house and he has both (K601 burned in, K701 new). Unless the K701 losses breath and soundstage with burn in, it's really hard for me to believe most would find their differences to be minor. People may actually prefer the K601 more enclosed sound, but to no matter your preference they don't sound the same.

I have to agree with Ric--in a quiet setting on the same amp these two cans do not sound close. Saratoga was super noisy when Ripley was there with his 701s, so I think it was hard to make these kind of comparisons. The 701s have less than an hour of listening time, and they were far more airy and open, had a wider soundstage and seem to extend higher and lower. The 601s have a nice sound, and seem slightly more comfortable, but their sound is clearly more closed in as Ric mentions.