Article from Boston Globe on collecting music

deepak

It is a worthy and insightful little piece. His mention of the chapter "Unpacking my library" by Walter Benjamin is telling. I just checked to see if I or JSTOR had a .PDF of that chapter but I must have photocopied it from the book. It, too, is a lovely bit of introspection on the native of collective possessive behaviour. I will scan it if I have time.

Personally. I like having CDs and have never bought nor will ever buy my music in a download only format. I think that I may be among the youngest people who hold such an attitude though.

I may be in the minority, but I haven't really bothered to read a CD insert in at least 5 years.

I do make sure I have album cover art, which I suppose is the closest approximation digital can offer.

Its a good point about the drive, but I guess I'd be more interested in expanding my collection than preserving some arbitrary sanctity of my own doing in that case.

I'm curious - what services are there that download collections for you? I have far too many CDs (many still unlistened to) that I would love to have available at the click of a mouse - I simply don't have the time or inclination to open all those boxes and do it myself.

I'm curious - what services are there that download collections for you? I have far too many CDs (many still unlistened to) that I would love to have available at the click of a mouse - I simply don't have the time or inclination to open all those boxes and do it myself.

Not really a download. You ship your CDs to them and they rip them for you for a fee. Costs $1-2 per CD.

Google 'CD ripping service'.

Thanks all, this is plenty to get me started - much appreciated.

Time is money and all that, but both ways - diy and using a service - do seem like a real hassle. But space and accessibility to my music have become pretty big issues at this point. I'm completely sold at this point on using my computer as a source.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense for me to let all that great music just sit in boxes in the cellar and gather dust much longer (I guess I could say the same thing about my DVDs and books as well - sigh) ...

I have a lot of stuff in digital from and on CDRs, but somehow it does not do it for me.

I am one of those fetishists that need to hold a complete physical object in the hands with art, liner notes and all other junk that comes with it. It better be in good condition as well, if it's not it bugs me. Many CDs and LPs for me have a much deeper meaning, I ofter remember when I got them, why and what was happening in my life at that time. Listening to music for me is an experience, I let my equipment warm up, I kick back I take an LP/CD I put them on and I listen to the entire thing. I don't read, talk or do anything else when I listen seriously.

I do listen on the go or on PC or when cooking or talking to friends, but mostly to different music that does not require much attention.

I think my attitude dates back to growing up in USSR where getting new music on original LP or R2R was a BIG deal. You cherished it and it was your prized possession. So digital revolution or not I don't see getting rid of packing away my physical media. :P

Not entirely related to the article, but I've noticed when I buy jazz box sets that include multiple discs of alternative takes or different live versions I find myself mostly listening to the original session. Bitches Brew is one of my favorites and I eagerly picked up the complete sessions set, but I keep coming back to the Japanese first pressing CD with the original mix. The box set is cool for the booklet, pictures and stuff, but I never listen to it.

I think a lot of booklets and inserts are simply fluff, but one of the things I absolutely love are the large glossy black and white photos taken by Francis Wolff during the Blue Note recording sessions inside the Music Matters vinyl. It's another experience staring at them and wondering what was going through those musicians minds at the time they created such amazing music.

Some booklets are useless, some are even pointless others are art that compliment the album. What are like the most are big booklets from companies like GoD that re-release stuff; they give you a ton of rare photos and information. These are great to read and add a lot of value to the release.

Some booklets are useless, some are even pointless others are art that compliment the album. What are like the most is stuff from companies like GoD that re-release stuff; they give you a ton of rare photos and information. These are great to read and add a lot of value to the release.

Absolutely, the Garden of Delights booklets are fantastic. For the most part I also enjoy inserts in classical and some jazz CDs.

...Personally. I like having CDs and have never bought nor will ever buy my music in a download only format. I think that I may be among the youngest people who hold such an attitude though.

I'm with you on that. It's just the tangible feeling of owning your music, when the disc loads into the tray, when you flip through the inserts. I'm 21 and all my friends think I'm raving mad when I spend $100 at a CD store when there's something called "Bittorrent".

I don't know - I'm 52, and when I look at all those stacks of things I own (fortunately, no vinyl), I have this amazing sense of my own mortality - like there's no way I'm ever gonna be able to listen (or read) all this stuff I have - and when it's physical stuff, rather than just stored in a computer, somehow it hits home that much more. Interestingly, Uber, it's almost like a reverse-age thing: when you're 21 it's totally cool to gobble up CDs, since you feel you have all the time in the world to listen to whatever you get. We old farts (at least me) on the other hand, dream of down-sizing :)

Off topic, but I just noticed the Orpheus and HEV-90 are at 18K-plus with about 5 minutes to go on ebay. Man oh man - although I think the WES probably outshines the HEV90 by far, Jack Woo says that the HE90 cans themselves pair are the best for the WES).