TTL Converter

luvdunhill

I need help putting together a simple TTL converter circuit to raise three DSD / SPDIF3 signals up to TTL level. I'm tapping the lines off a TI DSD1608. Here's what I have so far. Specifically, I was looking at a single TI SN74HCU04D for all three signals. Any recommendations on the cap here? I was thinking all surface mount here, but whatever the consensus is for the caps, I'm fine with. I'm thinking of adding a regulator as well nearby, like a National LP2985 5V regulator, or similar.

dsd_small.PNG

Currently, these SPDIF3 lines won't leave the single box player, but perhaps down the line I'd route them to an external box via BNC cables. Either way, I'm assuming a single buffer is okay? Any other topologies that would work well?

Edited by luvdunhill

well, I'm already expanded my scope to have both a TTL to coax, and coax to TTL circuits, as well as level shifting. It would be easy enough to also add a toslink connector option. I'm not sure the level shifting is really necessary, so I'm still a bit confused on that point. However, I'll probably add it anyways. I'm also thinking of paralleling more inverters together, perhaps three.

I'll post the circuit tomorrow and see if perhaps that will get me a bit more feedback :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's where I am at.

Three types of input, transformer coupled coaxial, optical, and TTL. After this input, there is DC blocking cap for the TTL case and then this is fed into a buffer that can be configured to have gain. This performs the optional level shifting from TTL. Then into parallel buffers that drive the output. There is also another DC blocking cap after, that might be used depending on the final configuration. The output can be taken as TTL, transformer coupled coax, or optical. A voltage divider plus series resistor allows for proper termination into a BNC connector.

So, in my case I'll use TTL -> TTL. But this could be used for a coax -> optical, optical -> coax, ttl -> coax, ttl -> optical, etc.

Perhaps now there might be a bit more discussion?

post-484-12951155900245_thumb.jpg

It looks like you have the TTL input before the amplification stage, though I guess it will just go to the rails and act as a buffer? Also, is it any real benefit to do the bypassing of the DC blocking caps to the extent that you are?

What are you actually doing with TTL signals?

There doesn't necessarily need to be amplification if the feedback resistor is left off, in which case it just acts of a buffer. I guess it's just a bonus that two inverting stages cancel out. The reason I need the amplification is if I want to bring the signal up to TTL level, or go from 3.3v TTL to 5v TTL. (Worse case, I could use the voltage divider at the output to shift from 5v TTL to 3.3v TTL)

The bypassing is so I can have one TH part (Wima MKS02) and/or two NP0 caps. Probably overkill, yes.

So, my problem is that where I'm tapping the DSD1608 chip, the signal isn't very strong. Also, the Wolfson isn't 5.0v compliant, it expects 3.3v logic. So, what I'm assuming is that the DSD signal is basically needs to be 3.3v TTL logic and I either need to buffer the signal at a minimum to drive the signal a couple feet, or buffer and level shift down to 3.3v TTL. Same with PCM I'm assuming (need buffer and/or level shifting to 3.3v).

The bonus of this approach, I could ship the data through a transformer to a BNC connector then out to an external DSD DAC and then use the same little board on the other end as well. So, some flexibility.... but more than anything, it's to experiment I guess and hope I get lucky and it works!

So you're redesigning a digital interface? Like Coax or XLR?

Sorry for the mundane question, I guess I'm just trying to point out that you're really NOT trying to redesign a digital interface, you just want to amplify it enough to get from point A to point B.

I don't know if that helps, though.

well, galvanic isolation never hurts, right? I may want to route it to an external DAC in the future, hence all the extra stuff.