The Cutlery Thread

tyrion

I figured I would start a thread on the subject since it comes up from time to time. As at least some of you know, I like to cook, mostly involving bbq and smoking. I have been thinking about getting some higher quality knives then the ones from Sharper Image I have been using that were a gift from a couple of years ago.

I started to do some research but have a lot more to do. I have a big birthday coming up and my wife tells me that some others (in laws) want to buy something nice for me (first time for that but that's another story). I suggested knives for the kitchen. I have been considering some Shun Classic, starting with a chef, paring and slicing knives. Any thoughts or suggestions on others?

Thanks

ShunChef.jpg

ShunSlicing.jpg

ShunParing.jpg

Edited by tyrion

To be honest, I haven't thought about those questions. I guess, since there is a skill set I have to learn and I'm capable of obsessive behavior, I would answer the questions, no, yes, yes. This would lead to the Shuns with the ability to move elsewhere should I learn the new skill set and exhibit obsessive knife behavior.

Don't the Shuns offer resharpening at a nominal price? X2 what Reks said, he is the man when it comes to obsessive knife knowledge. In my opinion it would be better to start good then scale up to "obsessive" when you feeel the need, Jacob has given me lots of good information on where to find the better quality cutlery. The Shun chef and paring knives you posted would be ideal first starts. If you want good and purty then you might look at a> a bit pricey but hey, it's a gift for you and you deserve it.

Oh, and you should get one of these just in case

Laguiole Wine Opener Draughtboard Ebony/Ivory

Sorry, OT.

I just checked out the website and they will sharpen for free, I would just pay the shipping tp Portland, OR and back. I think Shun will be a good place to start. Thanks for the advice.

Greg, my in laws like me but no one likes me enough for those Nenox Corian knives. :)

Wow, a lot of information, which I guess I expected. I will probably order lefty knives. I can cut with both hands but left is my first choice, unless it's knife fighting, then I go right. It will be a while before I attempt to sharpen one of these knives. I do know that I will need a stone for that and that seems to be a hobby of it's own.

What about a cutting board? Anything special I should be looking for?

you would really want one of these, anyway

Anyone want a BH and SR-Omega?

Edited by tyrion

I just checked out the website and they will sharpen for free, I would just pay the shipping tp Portland, OR and back. I think Shun will be a good place to start. Thanks for the advice.

Greg, my in laws like me but no one likes me enough for those Nenox Corian knives. :)

Mike, they obviously don't appreciate your true value. :)

Mike, do you have a need/will you really be using the 6inch utility and the parer? I am guessing for the type of cooking and food prep you will be doing a good chef will get the most use. The deal you linked to has three knives, two of which I am guessing you may not use much. Myself, I hardly use a parer and what paring I do dosen't require a super knife. YMMV I guess.

Edited by Augsburger

Go custom, George Tichbourne specializes in kitchen knives of all varieties. I have his K3 vegetable knive and the K5 butcher knife and I'm quite happy with them. They're not the last word in ultra high performance knives but they're far more durable and forgiving of mistakes like accidentally hacking it into bone. Which isn't to say they can't cut, they can, and they do a pretty darn good job, I can easily fillet the corner off a sheet of notebook paper and slice clean curves through a sheet of cigarette paper with the K3. They easily outperform any of the German knives and it's only the high-end laminated carbon steel or VG-10 blades that can beat them.

Go custom, George Tichbourne specializes in kitchen knives of all varieties. I have his K3 vegetable knive and the K5 butcher knife and I'm quite happy with them. They're not the last word in ultra high performance knives but they're far more durable and forgiving of mistakes like accidentally hacking it into bone. Which isn't to say they can't cut, they can, and they do a pretty darn good job, I can easily fillet the corner off a sheet of notebook paper and slice clean curves through a sheet of cigarette paper with the K3. They easily outperform any of the German knives and it's only the high-end laminated carbon steel or VG-10 blades that can beat them.

reading that page gave me an idea.... Reks, can you sharpen lawn mower blades? 'cause that guy can... and he even makes knives.

Last month had my hair cut at my local cheapskate Hair Cuttery, and the lady showed off her fancy hair shears to me. Turns out they were Hattoris. Beautiful, really. Didn't realize she could take off an ear with one false move ...

Mike I thought about this on this mornings ride. You mentioned that you prefer to do food pref cutting left handed, well some of the Shuns are for leftys but not all so be aware of that. Should you go Japanese be aware that some of their chopping knives, ie. Debas, have a single bevel and are meant for right handed chopping. Beveling for left handed chefs are available but are special orders and cost more. Oh, FYI sale-

Shun Knives - Shun Knife, Shun Santoku Knife, Kershaw Shun Cutlery, Kershaw Shun Knives, Shun Knife Sets, Shun.com, KAI Shun Ken Onion Knife a decent sale it appears.

Didn't notice the handle on the Flash, definitely not my style.

I am wondering whether I should start with a cheaper knife like the Tojiro before moving up to the Hattori (in case I mess it up sharpening it). I can always use it as a second/backup knife in the future. Also, I wonder what my husband will think when he find out I spend >$200 on a single knife??? I don't like the handle on the Shun so that is out. Some people have complained about the Torjiro PS chipping, for instance when cutting bread. I wonder if that if that is actually that common though.

Shelly, the Tojiro uses VG-10 steel which is a very hard steel, harder than most of the mall brand cutlery like Henckels ow Wostuf. I find it hard to believe someone can chip a Vg-10 blade while cutting bread unless they were cutting the bread on their radiator. If the Tojiro's price point make sense to you, then that would be a good starting point IMHO. Good luck, I know this transition requires a leap of faith.