Ins-n-Outs of In-N-Out

blessingx

I had in mind to eat a burger tonight and decided to have a go at their recipe. I've eaten once at an In-N-Out, but I was 10 years old so I don't remember how it tastes, I just remember it was very good for fast food.

I've followed their instructions (a bit loosely) and the result is a very tasty. My burger is probably a sacrilege for a real In-N-Out customer from the US West Coast, but as a Canadian outsider of the whole In-N-Out mystique, I think it's very good! :cool: I need to improve at food photography though:

IMG_3976.jpg

The whole point in imitating a recipe is to use it as a starting point for your own variations -- there is by no means any requirement to get it right for anyone who isn't eating it.

Good job!

I think the thing I want to imitate the most -- the one thing I like the most that I find the hardest to do -- is the caramelized onions.

Drove back from a week's vacation in Laguna Beach just in time to hit the 7PM Friday Southern California rush hour :confused:

So I give my back seat navigator, my thirteen year old son Garrett the instructions "find me the nearest In-N-Out". So while driving a steady bumper to bumper 45mph in a 70 mph zone, Garrett Googles In-N-Out and uses the Google with Droid GPS to give me the heads up for the next exit and turn by turn directions. Off the freeway and on in less than twenty minutes, technology is cool.

Google+Droid+GPS=In-N-Out FTMFW!

I think the thing I want to imitate the most -- the one thing I like the most that I find the hardest to do -- is the caramelized onions.

Caramelized onions is pretty damn simple really, all you need is good olive oil and onions, and in 20 minutes you're set. Awesome dressing for burgers and sandwiches.

Drove back from a week's vacation in Laguna Beach just in time to hit the 7PM Friday Southern California rush hour :confused:

So I give my back seat navigator, my thirteen year old son Garrett the instructions "find me the nearest In-N-Out". So while driving a steady bumper to bumper 45mph in a 70 mph zone, Garrett Googles In-N-Out and uses the Google with Droid GPS to give me the heads up for the next exit and turn by turn directions. Off the freeway and on in less than twenty minutes, technology is cool.

Google+Droid+GPS=In-N-Out FTMFW!

Nice! Hopefully made that last slog a little easier to handle.

At In-n-Out for then second time this week. This thread was a mistake.

It's easy to get on a in n out jag, which has serious health consequences. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I will be attempting those methods for sure. Never would have dreamed of mustard grilling, that part is definitely a big part of the flavor. And holy crap @ 60/40 ground chuck. Time to get the grinder attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer. At least on the Foreman grill that fat will have somewhere to run, I'm guessing in the restaraunts they've got grease gutters on their grill station.

• 3 months later...