Need paper comparison of Dynamid and B22...

Solude

My ass is getting very sore sitting on this fence. Need some help sorting out the technical advantages, design features of these two.

I currently have a 2ch B22, once upon a time I had a HeadAmp Reference single ended. That said, it was a long long time ago and while the B22 decimated the Concerto I wonder how it compares on paper to the dynamid, GS-X specifically?

I listen at low levels, 70dB is loud for me.

So on paper, how does the dynamid compare to the b22? Slew rate, noise, all that jazz. Maybe Ti and Kevin can chime in? Side question, given I listen at unity gain at best, are the advantages of going balanced pretty much moot?

If you listen at 70dB I wouldn't bother with either. Sure, you get twice the slew rate (or some such nonsense) but you also probably more than double the cost, get more gain out of your source (more than likely) that you don't want to begin with, etc, etc. If you want to spend money wisely find a better attenuator for your 2ch beta22 and invest in ways to lower its noise floor.

That looks about right. Things were a whee loose when I got it but nothing a screwdriver and pliers didn't fix. Plan on using some loctite so I don't have to have another go at it :D The other site used a link back to that photo for the sale. When it was finished did it go out with black screws? The gent who made the suggestion was talking sight unseen. Was bugging him about it picking up Blackberry cell noise.

1. No clue on the gain, been way too long. Check amb's site and look at the boards, it only takes 2 resistor values to know for sure.

2. It'll puff like every other beta with a TRS jack on it if abused, use it with caution is about the best advice that I can give.

i've never had an issue with my K702/K271/K240DF by only turning down the volume and pulling out with my Switchcraft TRS jacks. i prefer Switchcraft plugs as well. Neutriks i've used are a bit more "soft" and "smooth" wrt to insertion/removal. the gain shouldn't make the B22 more "puffable" or not - it's a current draw issue with shorting the outputs.

btw, a Black Beauty alone is near worth 1/2 the cost of the amp.

i have again of x8. with my 600ohm K240DF i can hit 3'oclock easily, but i listen at 80-85dB.

Huh, with the LCD-2 I sit at 9 o'clock for 70dB. My source is pretty hit though. It specs at 1.4V but given I could only use the first 4 steps on my KGSS... its likely higher. Curious what I would measure at 12. Anyway gain was more curiosity. If its something huge, I can drop it to get more swing. Which is admittedly not much of an issue for pot. So used to having a DACT and needing the gain to match my listening preference to make it usable. Good to know about the BB, guess I be keeping her :D

Just wondering did they make logarithmic Black Velvet pots?

Yup, I used several of them. The audio taper versions sold out a good few years ago so all you see now is the occasional linear taper. Even as recent as a couple years ago the audio taper versions were only $50 or so shipped from Germany. It's a pity that no one used them when they were available and Alps decided to kill them.

And Solude, I'd use loctite on everything depending on which type you got. The types that I use don't require herculean strength to break, but do resist shipping and movement very well.

Huh, with the LCD-2 I sit at 9 o'clock for 70dB. My source is pretty hit though. It specs at 1.4V but given I could only use the first 4 steps on my KGSS... its likely higher. Curious what I would measure at 12. Anyway gain was more curiosity. If its something huge, I can drop it to get more swing. Which is admittedly not much of an issue for pot. So used to having a DACT and needing the gain to match my listening preference to make it usable. Good to know about the BB, guess I be keeping her :D

i would only change the gain if you're having noise issues. i have a very faint white-noise at gain of x8 with my less efficient K702 but zilch noise for my K240DF. unlike your B22, my B22 is not totally shielded in aluminum, with walnut wrap around chassis. the noise issues with a B22 are real - the B22 amplifies everything.

Yup, I used several of them. The audio taper versions sold out a good few years ago so all you see now is the occasional linear taper. Even as recent as a couple years ago the audio taper versions were only $50 or so shipped from Germany. It's a pity that no one used them when they were available and Alps decided to kill them.

Plenty of gear used the RK40's, even the quad version but most high end gear had moved on after 2000 to chips plus the whole home cinema BS. TKD still makes high end pots since most of them are for Pro use.