New OSX Opensource audiophile player : Audirvana

jp11801

Just caught this on computeraudiophile's site. I've got ayrewave, amarra, I've used pure music and twilight and this one is nice.

I just drag and drop the cd I want to play from my music folder in itunes and it loads right up.

Has memory play and auto sample rate change as well, best of all it is open source and free for the moment at least.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/New-OSX-Opensource-audiophile-player-Audirvana

it's sorta like the twilight beta player only that somewhat looked like a car stereo

While I still like amarra better, as a free player it sample rate changes, loads tracks into memory, takes over your dac and runs in hog mode. All and all a nice first stab, if you like the player throw the guy that designed it a few bucks if you feel it is worth it.

I tend to drag and drop titles into the track list area it is something I got used to from the later versions of amarra

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Amarra have been a little flaky lately and I will need something that can handles DSDs so I am thinking of trying this out.  Does anyone have the "plus"  (paid) version?  In particular, I would like to know if it would be possible to use it on more than two computers (these would be my own computers and I would not usually be using more than one at a time, unless I left the computer in the office on by accident).  

The website states: As per the EULA, it is permitted to proceed to “the installation on a second computer owned by you for your exclusive use with the express condition that this second copy is not used simultaneously with the main one”.

I've installed it on two with no problems. The only issue I've had is that integer mode hijacks the interface being used, so unless another one is selected in Mac OS X, other programs that try and output sound can lock up, such as Safari when playing a Youtube video.  It can also be a bit funny if you try and switch the output without restarting the program. If it crashes, it might not release the output interface. It is really best for a computer dedicated to music playback, especially using its built-in playlist rather than iTunes integrated mode, though that works fine. To me, it sounds a tiny bit clearer than Amarra with most devices I've tried, but the differences are pretty small.

Yeah, the highjacking I have found to be annoying but I can live with it.  

I like the itunes integration because I can use remote on the ipad with it then (I will have it on the Mini which is not connected to a monitor and screen share is annoyingly slow). 

It says that you can install it on two computers, I am wondering about three.  I emailed audirvana and they never got back to me.   :(

Edited by shellylh