DDSIII DIY Work Thread

bhjazz

That's right. A few upgrades and tweaks for the old gal.

On the list will be opamps, wiring reroutes and upgrades, power supply changes.

First up, I'm going to remove these JRC4735B opamps (assuming I have correctly identified them) and replace them with...dunno. After reading up a bit it appears that these are part of the problem with this player sounding so dark. I'll have to do some comparisons, but it seems like an OPA2134 could be a candidate, or an AD8610 (or 20). Guesses? I'll have to check the pinouts to be sure.

ddsiiidac.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not seeing a lot of praise for the OPA2134, but am seeing some good things about the OPA627/637. As for the AD8620, reviews seems to be the same as they were before: rather clean sound, and can be too steril with the wrong associated circuit. I may just solder in a few sockets and roll these until the rest of the changes are made.

Additionally, it doesn't look like these are biased to Class A, but I'll have to poke around at the traces to figure that out. I'm doubting it, though.

Opamp preferences, anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Any guess what parts L901 and L902 are? Measured, they don't seem to be...anything. They are on the output path to the RCAs on the back panel. I assume they are some kind of output cap. Guesses?

l901l902.jpg

Edited by bhjazz

quick question. Do you have measurement equipment to determine if removing stuff off the board causes problems?

File my answer under "I wish" or "Hell, no"! Good point. I don't think a typical DMM would fit that classification.

The ferrites remove high frequency trash, and may keep the output

opamps from oscillating under some conditions. If you are going to

replace the entire output section, then you can remove them, but

they are there to limit stuff over 100khz.

OK. I'll leave them in, then. Thanks.