Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

www.Head-Case.org

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Knuckledragger

High Rollers
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Knuckledragger

  1. Mildly NSFW: Today marks the 50h anniversary of Tom Waits' album Small Change. While not my favorite release of his by a long shot, I sure listened to it a lot in the early 90s. The cover art is legendary, and quite risque at the time of its release. I follow Tom Waits on Facebook. The page is very well maintained and posts lots of vintage photos and historical information. Today they posted an alternate shot from the cover photo session: There's a longstanding urban legend that the stripper is Cassandra "Elvira, Mistress of the Dark" Peterson. It isn't. Bonus: The same Tom Waits FB page posted this photo last week: Check out the Folger's can(s).
  2. Flickr has been heavily promoting their MODE conference for ages now. It took place this weekend and was ...a completely and utter fizzle, Trumpian in its proportions: Day two has photos. It's sad. I hope this doesn't bankrupt the company.
  3. As I am fond of saying, the size queens have a point.
  4. I managed to get Docker installed on the Debian box. It only took a couple tries. The current problem I am having is getting Pihole installed with Docker. When I paste the command into console, I get an error about NTP (Network Time Protocol) not being installed. I'm still trying to figure out why I am getting that particular error. So far the search results have been conflicting. Aslo, I own Ubuntu an apology. It was not the OS's fault that it could not connect to my M4 Mini file server. The M4 was being a bitch and refusing to play SMB with any non-Mac. A reboot of it later, and it's working fine. This means that the "old enough to get its learner's permit" mid-2010 Mini is actually a useful device. Given the current state of gestures broadly that's not a bad thing. I am actually considering installing Ubuntu on my other micro PC, which was my W11-based TV box ...until I decided I could no longer stand Windows for anything except for video games.
  5. Gerrit Graham, ‘Phantom of the Paradise’ Actor and Grateful Dead Collaborator, Dies at 77
  6. Further update. At most turns, Ubuntu seems a bit more user. It has more useful things installed (it's also a much bigger installer, 3.4GB vs ~750MB.) The GNOME GUI is much nicer than ...whatever ships with Debian. Ubuntu gives you sudo access by default. On Debian I had to su and then enter a command I needed to google to add my account to the sudo list. Then I had to reboot log out and log in again. This might be no big deal for seasoned linux neckbeards users, but I had to learn and muddle through every step. Shout out to Proton VPN for being super Linux friendly. They have a whole page dedicated to installing their client, with easily copyable commands to make things go. On the not so plus side, Ubuntu could connect to my M4 Mini server's file system easily. Thus far, Ubuntu has refused to. I need to install flatpk next...
  7. Short answer: The Pihole dev team are still hosting it and not updating it. I only ended up having Pi OS desktop running for an afternoon. I've now got a fresh install of Debian 13 on the Beelink, connected to a monitor that it actually likes. Also, last night, on a whim, I installed Unbuntu on a mid 2010 Mac Mini I bought from ...some Head-Caser or another years ago. It's got a sputtering Core 2 Duo, but it does have 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD. I think I'm going to use it to sing sea shanties.
  8. So as hardware is wont to do, a magic gremlin appeared between the Beelink and my gee whiz main display. It's a dual mode monitor that does 1080p @ WTF Hz (480 or something) and 4K at 180Hz. I run it in 1080p mode almost all the time. I began to get suspicious that the problem was hardware related, so I spent an hour integrating the Beelink into the shelf that hots the M4 mini and a bunch of other hardware. That meant dusting off and wiring up my trusty KVM switch. "KVM" is a misnomer in this day and age, but the function is the same. It has been my experience that newer (Silicon based) Mac are ...fussy about KVM switches. Fortunately, this one works with every device I have plugged into it. The downside is that KVM triples the number of wires. 😫 The Beelink is now getting along fine with the 2013 vintage 1200p Lenovo panel I use for system administration. Debian comes with FFX installed (yay!) I am too tired to pursue setting up Pihole tonight. Also, a friend of mine who has been high up in the IT food chain for 25 years now (he is the DNS guy @ ADBE) also said, and I quote "Repeat after me. Net. BSD. Less gui bullshit." I will ignore him ...for the time being.
  9. Happy birthday, Stretch! Here's a comic from 15 years ago.
  10. So apparently Pi Desktop is based on Debian Bullseye, which went EOL in August. That explains the 404s I've been getting trying to update it. The repositories are gone. My next step is to install Debian, probably with GNOME. The Linux Nightmare continues.
  11. Update 1 (of many): I successfully made install media on a thumb drive and was able to install Debian PiOS on the Beelink. The install process was mostly painless. There were a few points where I had to select something non-obvious to continue. Linux is FLOSSy and it never fails to show off that fact. That's about the extent of the good news. Debian ships with Chromium. For the last half hour, I have been trying to install Firefox and ...completely fucking failing. I can download the tar.gz file sure. I can extract it. I have tried a number of directories. The extractor defaults to /tmp. I cannot drag the firefox directory out of /tmp and place it elsewhere. I made $HOME/Applications. I extracted FFX there. I found what I think is the executable. It will not run. I have done like 17 searches using DDG and the Goog on how to install FFX on Linux. The answers are remarkably unhelpful. I'm breaking for lunch. Also, at the risk of accusations of preaching to the choir: Every experience with I have with Windows and now Linux is an argument for The Mac Tax. W11 is horrible in the most dystopian, Orwellian way imaginable. Linux is not horrible, but it is endlessly, relentlessly opaque an unhelpful. Linux assumes one's day job is linux and has no interest in any other possibility. Also, 10.6 Snow Leopard was the best version of MacOS, I will die on that hill.
  12. As I have mentioned in Jacob's Jacobless Jacobing, I recently bought another micro PC for the purposes of installing Raspberry Pi OS (in this case Raspberry Pi Desktop.) The more I learn about smart devices, the more I want to return to monke build a proper standalone adblock/anti-tracking machine. Seriously. We live in a schizophrenic's nightmare. That 4K LG TV is like the offspring of the Five Eyes and Mark Zuckerberg. Your "Internet of Things" refrigerator is phoning home to China. A Russian has hacked into your washing machine. My solution to this Orwellian hellscape is try out a Pihole. Raspberry Pis, as devices, have become so cartoonishly expensive that it's actually a better economic decision to buy a low end micro PC (see above.) This thread will primarily serve as "lol, Knuckles thinks he's a linux geek" but will hopefully include at least a little useful info. The new micro PC, a Beelink SER, arrived today. I learned that the other low power micro PC I bought in 2022, a Minisforum UM350, is significantly more powerful than the Beelink. The former has a Ryzen 3 3550H (4 cores, 8 threads, better per-core performance, Vega 8 graphics) and the latter has a Ryzen 3200U (2 cores, 4 threads, Vega 3 graphics.) This is actually a good thing as the UM350 can pull up to 35W (I think mine is rated at 20W, but it's been ages since I looked that up.) The 3200U pulls 15W. Obviously, I will be running the Pihole 24/7 once it's fully set up. Also, I don't exactly need 3D graphic performance of any kind with it. The biggest surprise thus far is that I bought a unit that was not supposed to come with an OS and surprise, SUCKER! It's got Window 11 pre-installed. That OS is like a goddamn venereal disease. This evening I downloaded the Pi Desktop OS image. It's a svelte 3.4GB. I'm not sure I have the energy at this hour to format a bootable thumb drive and begin the OS installation process.
  13. A couple of days ago marked the 10th anniversary of the passing of Don Buchla. While Bob Moog was the "kindly grandfather" synth designer, and Lev Theremin was "secret agent" one, Don was the "I did acid in the 60s and came up with such radical synth designs that 60 years later the industry is still trying to catch up with me" pioneer.
  14. I wonder if Flickr is blocking certain countries? I'll try my VPN. Hola, me llamo Arrastrando los Nudillos! ¿Dónde está la biblioteca? Mi amigo Brent tiene una cabeza gigante. Erm, I mean. I am now using ProtonVPN, with Spain as the exit country. The images loaded slowly, but they did all eventually show up.
  15. DOH. You're right. The D200 was one of the last CCD Nikon DSLRs and that is the reason it's so prized by collectors and eccentrics. The only CCD body that followed it was the entry level D3000.
  16. Futzing with the D200, special "thumbnail" edition: " These are the original resolution as shot. Nice CMOS CCD color science at least.
  17. Ugh. I got Nikon'd. 20+ years of shooting Canon and the rapid decrease in my ability to see has made operating my D200 a challenge. I was messing with the ISO and/r the WB buttons and fat fingered the QUAL (image size) one. For three days, I was shooting with my D200 at its lowest (2.5MP) setting vs. its native 10MP. I didn't lose anything spectacular, but it's certainly disheartening to learn one was shooting on "thumbnail" resolution.
  18. Toshiba Aurex system from the late 70s:
  19. "🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧 Papua New Guinea 🇬🇧"
  20. . o O Even though I only have one Nikon body and it's about to turn 21 years old, I think I'm going to buy a Nikkor 35mm F/2.
  21. I have successfully gotten DeaDBeeF to scrobble played tracks to last.fm on OS X Catalina. This is more difficult than it sounds. I ended up asking three different AIs (Gemini, Clod and uh duck.ai) for help with the problem. Each one gave me a different answer that did not match my experience. Finally I solved the issue by downloading a new copy of the DeaDBeeF binary from a different site. That was it. "Downgrading" from W11 to OS X 10.15 has been a series of hoop jumping. The Goog full stop doesn't support such an old OS, so no Chrome (BFD) or Drive (kind of a BD.) Password management can be a headache. The Intel-based Mini is comically energy inefficient Even at idle, the case is significantly hot to the touch. Conversely, the Minisforum UM350 (visible in the background right, struggling to download a W11 update) has a mobile Ryzen 5 3550H in it and could probably run off a 9V battery. One major upside is that the System Preferences panel on Catalina is the old style one with big icons and a sensible layout, not the horrible new "mobile" one with which current versions of OS X are saddled. You know, because the Mini is a computer. Not a "device."
  22. Incoming Sony post. A stack of 90s. There is an entire subculture built around vintage Sony kit, for some odd reason. A lousy photo of some great ES. A clever redditor took a Sony ST-80F tuner and installed a Raspberry Pi (when they weren't $300), HifiBerry DAC+ Pro, and screen. He made his own UI for the round display shape. Similarly, this guy modified an ES tuner with a Raspberry Pi, OLED display and rotary encoder. Also, look at that goddamn ES tape deck. I would [Note from Legal: REDACTED.] to own one of those.
  23. Goddamn. Iron Maiden played Boston last night. For ...over 45 years, they have been consistently one of the best if not the best live shows in all of metal. I follow them on FB, like an unc (as the kids say.) They posted these photos: Wish I could have gone. Paradoxically, but unsurprisingly, it's much, much easier to get to BOS from W.Mass than it is from MV.
  24. A good friend of mine mained a Samsung Galaxy Fold for years. He said it kept him from needing to replace his laptop (which died) for quite some time. There were a bunch of obvious and not so obvious limitations. Case selection was a big one at first. Also, some apps just don't play nice on the big screen. Linus of Tech Squeaks ran a newer Fold for a while and he said the same thing. Of course, AAPL has clout with app makers that not even Samsung can muster. I'll be a bunch of developers will make it a point to update their app for the iFold here. I would never buy one (I hate smrt phnes and view them as a necessary evil at best) but I will watch how the saga of Apple's last geegaw, ahem, unfolds.
  25. Apple unveils iPhone Duo.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.