HC Bike/Cycling Thread

boomana

Did a 40 mile Tour de Cure training ride training. Pretty uneventful with a decent but relaxed pace for the first 35 miles or so but the group fragmented with a few miles to go and I jumped to the front with the intention of just getting it over with but I walked into a testosterone fest with 10 or so people. I really thought I was gonna crack several times but I guess adrenaline is a beautiful thing.... we were doing 23-28 for around 4-6 miles (I don't remember as everything was a blur), rotating short pulls around 1/4 long and we eventually thinned it down to 5 riders. I was running around 170-185 bpm during that period - I've never held that high a HR for that long. I probably only had 1-2 more miles of that pace in me but I gotta admit, it was a lot of fun :)

• Like 4

Yikes, 170-185 bpm? That's breaking into zone 5 HR for me. Sounds like a fun time! The last long ride that came close to 40 miles was a tough one, I forgot to eat and basically suffered the last 45 min of the ride. Gotta get more long rides in once the weather lets up.

Consolidating all my Tour of Sufferlandria posts here so I don't keep bumping the thread:

http://www.trainerroad.com/tour-of-sufferlandria/nebby

Stage 1: Rubber Glove

Looks like my wattage went up 3 watts since I last tested, which is probably close enough to not matter.

Stage 2: ISLAGIATT 

I did it at 95% to prevent blowing up the legs, and that seemed to do the trick. Didn't make it easy by any means though...

Stupid HRM started dying on me halfway through the session :(

Stage 3: Revolver

16 x 1 minute intervals at 240W. First 13 weren't bad, but the last three my HR started peaking into zone 5, which is surprisingly enough a fairly noticeable difference.

Stage 4: Hell Hath No Fury

Stage 5: The Wretched + Extra Shot

Stage 6: A Very Dark Place

Stage 7: Angels + The Hunted

Stage 8: Blender

Edited by Nebby

I use trainerroad which does the hard part for me, but it basically implements Joe Friel's method:

http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/11/quick-guide-to-setting-zones.html

Do a 30 minute time trial, making sure to go as hard as you can for the full 30 minutes. Pacing is important, so make sure you don't go too hard out the gate, but it needs to be as hard as you can maintain for the duration. After 10 minutes, hit the lap butt on the garmin, then when you're done average the heart rate for the last 20 minutes. That'll be your lactate threshold heart rate (LTHR). Use the following to get your heart rate zones:

Step 2. Establish your training zones. Use the following guide to establish each zone by sport.

Run Zones
Zone 1 Less than 85% of LTHR
Zone 2 85% to 89% of LTHR
Zone 3 90% to 94% of LTHR
Zone 4 95% to 99% of LTHR
Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR
Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR
Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR

Bike Zones
Zone 1 Less than 81% of LTHR
Zone 2 81% to 89% of LTHR
Zone 3 90% to 93% of LTHR
Zone 4 94% to 99% of LTHR
Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR
Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR
Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR
Edited by Nebby

Got my ANT+ dongle today from Amazon and just signed up for Trainer Road. I know I should do the FTP test first but since I have a close estimate of my FTP from my computrainer classes from a month ago (180) I'm probably gonna start with Sufferfest Angels or The Wretched after work today.

http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Movestick-Mini-One-Size/dp/B004YJSD20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391021095&sr=8-1&keywords=suunto+movestick+mini

Works perfectly fine with Garmin gear. Tried to pedal a few minutes just to try out the interface. I remember how much trainer rides suck after hard Crossfit days - we did Murph yesterday which is one of my least favorite workouts.

That's pretty interesting, I'll have to take a look at my own HR when in the drops and compare.

Edit: gave the different spots a try during the cooldown period and it seems that when I switch positions there's a 2-3 bpm bump for 3-5 seconds and then it settles back down. No major 5-10bpm drops or anything like that. Perhaps your fit needs adjustment or your body isn't used to being in the drops?

Edited by Nebby

Just finished my first full ride on Trainer Road - Fin. Let me tell you what, these measured power rides, ie Computrainer or Trainer Road are truly humbling. You think you're a nifty rider on the road, wait till you suck ass on the trainer. I already knew this from my Computrainer classes though.

BTW, as much as I like riding on the drops especially when I'm warmed up and limber on the road, it's way different on the trainer. I tend to ride tops or hoods on the trainer and I don't nose ride my saddle as much as I do outside. 

It's neither good nor bad; HR ranges can vary quite a bit from person to person, although you can generalize somewhat based on age. If it didn't feel like you were completely dying, then it was a good session for you. I know for me, once I break 180 I'm basically full on anaerobic and I'll run out of steam shortly.

I picked up the sufferfest videos to add variety to the training plan from trainerroad that I'm going to use, but chose to join in on the Tour of Sufferlandria for fun. I get out of the saddle when the video prompts me to, but often times it hurts so much that I sit back down before it prompts me to sit. Standing and spinning while the bike is mounted on a trainer feels completely off to me and seems to hurt a lot more than when it's on the road.