USB and isolation and whatnot

Dusty Chalk

I was reading this review, and it mentions the AqVox USB isolating power supply:

The ‘correctly fettled’ part is key, though. Used straight from your computer’s USB host controller, this is a perfectly serviceable, perfectly blah DAC. It will not offend, but neither will it set the world alight. It’s a bit ‘meh!’ This is because it draws 480mA from a line that tops out at 500mA. Put it through a powered hub (even a cheap powered hub) and you begin to see the glint in its eye. Put it through something like the AQVOX isolated linear power supply for USB and five seconds into the next track, you have achieved computer audio nirvana.

A strong statement.  But after looking around, there appears to be some controversy -- so...what it is?  Have you tried it?  Did it make a difference?

It sounds like I should at least try it, but the AqVox appears to be geared towards the European market -- so is there a North American equivalent?

I'd be particularly interested in Justin's thoughts since he has probably already put some thought into this.  Justin?

There are a couple reviews of the iFi USB power supply.  Basically offers a power-only USB output (as well as power + signal) that supposedly is cleaner than normal combined signals.  Generally positive reviews....I think Art Dudley said some nice things (going on memory, may be wrong; but I've always liked Art's reviews, going back to Listener days).

Pete also has a PCB for a simple LV reg that looks like it'd work well for this application too, or even something like a TREAD is likely to work better than a generic wallwart.  Shit, I think I used to sell the sigma 11's that I built for a few folks for way less than $129.  :palm:

And I love the part about flip the plug around to determine the correct polarity and which sounds best.  Major WTF.