New cooktop - recommendation for brand

shellylh

Two of the igniters on our stove don't work (they haven't for 6 years) and we either need to replace the stove or get it fixed (before my mom or someone else burns down the house).  [Right now, we just light the stove by hand but if you try to do a low simmer on the front burners sometimes they go out and don't relight on their own.]  I think the one we have is a Dacor Classic 30" (natural gas).  I have no clue how old it is. 

Does anyone know some brands that are known to be the most reliable (I don't like to fuck around with gas and electricity).  We were looking at the Dacor Renaissance 30" but I am wondering if Dacor is so reliable.   Some people seem to mention Wolf as well. I would also like something that does a nice low simmer.  

Of course, maybe we can just fix our old stove which would certainly be cheaper. 

A quick check at Sears parts direct....

Replacement igniter assemblies for your current unit are $34 each plus shipping.

A quck cross check at e-replacement parts....

Replacement burner head assemblies with igniters range from $32 to $48 each plus shipping depending on the serial number of the cooktop.

Assuming you don't break something taking it apart it's a ten minute installation.

Or call the local appliance service dude and see if they will give you a quote?

A quick check at Sears parts direct....

Replacement igniter assemblies for your current unit are $34 each plus shipping.

A quck cross check at e-replacement parts....

Replacement burner head assemblies with igniters range from $32 to $48 each plus shipping depending on the serial number of the cooktop.

Assuming you don't break something taking it apart it's a ten minute installation.

Or call the local appliance service dude and see if they will give you a quote?

These DIY types sure do know how to take the fun out of buying stuff! :nate:

Well, looks like repair is the most economical way to go by far.

Just in case you actually want a new cooktop, Consumer Reports says Wolf is quite reliable. However, they only listed about a half dozen total brands in their reliability ratings, and Dacor wasn't one of them. A cooktop seems to almost always be under $2k regardless of brand, though.

Yep. If you're happy with how the current cooktop performs when 100%, I'd pay a local appliance person to repair it.

I am not 100% happy with the cooktop but don't know that I want to go through the hassle and money of a new one right now (espcially since I realize we can't get to the plug for the stove without cutting a hole in back part of the cabinet - I am not sure who came up with the plan of putting a slab of wood in front of the plug).  We looked a bit into fixing it ourselves and it seems we might need some special tools.  I'll look into it a little more.