AKG K340 electrostat-dynamic impressions/pictures

deepak

The HD650 is my favorite can, and it sounds like they share a lot of similarities.
???

Really?

Has anyone ever heard these out of a PPX3 Slam 6SN7 amp, or can anyone make an educated guess as to how this amp would synergize with the K340?
I've heard them out of a PPX3 SLAM and thought that it was a pretty decent match. Seemed to be able to drive them with authority and there was no lacking in bass definition. :)

I would say the same. They (the two K340 I listened to) share many things, like the same tonality and the same kind of presentation, ala speakers. Of course there are differences, but if someone asked me what headphone the K340 is like, I would say HD650.

I'd agree only in that the 340 is the only headphone that I would have kept alongside my 650 if I had an interest in multiple headphones. I felt that neither distorted the tonality of acoustic instruments, within reason. In the end however I found that the 340's were a little more fatiguing to my ears, and as a musician by profession, I need to be safe!

So far I've found that the HD650 is actually very slightly more enjoyable for classical (in my setup). Both my unmodded K340's are unable to offer the immediate slam of tympani drums, but they carry the sound over distance better than the HD650.

On all other accounts they are both pretty much neck and neck. The K340 offering a brighter presentation, the HD650 darker.

I would agree that the K340's are a bit brighter than the Senns, but that is a good thing in my mind. As for them sounding similar... I just don't see it.

Tried to expand in more detail, but after deleting my sentence ~10 times in a row, I think I'll have to give up for now. :P

I feel like crap today. :(

• 4 months later...

I wouldn't even know what the price on those things is these days, I got mine for just over half that price a few years back. I think that's around the going price, but check with jpak or someone who's bought them in the last year or so for the scoop.