Sony HAP-Z1ES Streamer

HiWire

No professional reviews of this $2,000 box yet. 2 slavering 5-star fanboy "reviews" on the Sony site.

Now in stock at Amazon. Who will be first in line for Sony's other new digital box thingy?

http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-shit-that-doesnt,14309/

I am enjoying my Azurite Blue PS3, though. It works OK... I guess.

Edited by HiWire

• 1 month later...

-I like how it takes the computer out of the equation. I know other players do this, but the Sony's implementation looks pretty slick and easy, even if the software is proprietary

-I think it looks great

-I'm sure it has that Sony ES sound, so you probably already know if you like it or not

-For the price I think its a contender. $2,000 seems to be the sweet spot for hi-rez/DSD capable DACs

If I was starting over I would put this on my consideration list.

• 2 months later...

I have this, it's very good for an all-in-one, Sony put a lot of good work into it....

What I like:

• Built well, like most/all the higher end ES line
  • No DAC required, handles lossy and lossless (FLAC to 24./192, plus DSD)
  • Has the capability to resample PCM to DSD (switchable)
  • Tablet app with decent interface and functionality
  • Expandable storage via USB port
  • Fairly easy to set up and load, though I found I had to do some manual tagging for a bunch of files (this can be done from the app, and I also did it on the PC before transferring it in some cases)
  • Simple to use once set up & loaded
  • It apparently can do internet radio (haven't tried this, though)
  • It supposedly can make lossy sound a bit more palatable (haven't tried this out either)
  • Wireless capability - really for internet radio, not recommended to use for transferring files
  • Basic operation via front panel or remote is OK; I have this right next to my couch, so can navigate easily enough; app makes it even easier

What could be better:

• Sound - it's VERY good, perhaps great; but could even get better I think (already mods popping up for it, Ric Shultz @ EVS, and Vinnie @ RWA; may be others by now)
  • Loading files is a bit slow, even over wired connection
  • No backup capability - though I guess the source of the files you copy is the backup.....
  • Uses opamps in the output stage I believe (part of the reason for mods I'd guess)

What I just don't like:

• No digital out
  • Can't read files from NAS, needs to be loaded locally

Neither negative is THAT important for me.  And I enjoy using this a lot, it's been my go to system more often now than the NAD/KGSS/O2 Mk I (more for convenience, but with an Auralic Taurus and Senn 800's, sounds mighty nice).

I was lucky to get mine off Audiogon nearly new for more than 25% off list, but I'd still probably recommend it at $2k.

Once loaded, I think it's a great unit, with very good sound and major convenience.  I have a lot of DSD files, so it was worth it to me to get this unit.  If you have PCM only, maybe something like a Pioneer N-30 is good: digital out along with analog, does FLAC to 24/192, reads from NAS, also does internet radio, and is much cheaper.  Only bad thing is a fairly clunky app interface....

My extended two cents.