Tom's Hardware: "Anything Above $2 Buys More Features, Not More Quality"

HiWire

My dad used to tell me that all CD players sounded the same, but then I went around and auditioned CD players for about 5 years, starting with consumer-grade stuff like my dad's Technics carousel all the way up to a 4-box dCS Paganini system. Obviously, they weren't all connected to the same amplifiers and loudspeakers, but I heard a lot of differences.

I ended up with the Arcam FMJ CD36 and I've got my eye on the Oppo BDP-105D for HDCD and SACD playback – I think I can use it as a DAC via USB input. My amplification is pretty solid: Arcam C31 preamp and two Arcam P1 monoblocs, so the last big jump is loudspeakers for now.

Also, I like Schiit Audio's idea of keeping their bases covered with the Loki. If DSD takes off, they can incorporate the circuitry in the Bifrost or another DAC/Amp. Oppo has also added DSD decoding to their newer players.

Edited by HiWire

Yeah, that's not exactly slackin' in the digital source department.

oh yeah, definitely. I definitely disagree with the article in the OP.

All I mean is if you start with a bad pair of headphones, or a bad speaker, or a room inappropriate for a speaker, no digital source is going to fix that.

Is there a difference between motherboard audio and a rega apollo? Hell yeah. But the increase in performance you get going from motherboard audio > apollo is nowhere near the level you get going from say a KSC75 to an HD800. Thats all I'm saying.

But once you get to that level of high quality transducers, then a better digital source will certainly make a difference.

oh yeah, definitely. I definitely disagree with the article in the OP.

All I mean is if you start with a bad pair of headphones, or a bad speaker, or a room inappropriate for a speaker, no digital source is going to fix that.

Is there a difference between motherboard audio and a rega apollo? Hell yeah. But the increase in performance you get going from motherboard audio > apollo is nowhere near the level you get going from say a KSC75 to an HD800. Thats all I'm saying.

But once you get to that level of high quality transducers, then a better digital source will certainly make a difference.

Oh, okay, when you put it like that, team source dead fucking last actually sounds ( ::) ) kinda enticing.

I still prefer my team.

What team is that, Dusty?

Team Your System is Only as Strong as its Weakest Link