Grado speakers, WTF?

Dusty Chalk

John Grado uses these speakers in his house, they're 32 drivers on each side. With two Grado made subwoofers as well. People got to hear them at the first NY Headfi meet which was at Grado Labs. Apparently they sounded pretty damn good. IIRC John Grado said if they were marketed they would cost $6000-8000.

Interesting that guy on audiokarma got them...I'm not entirely surprised as John Grado is auctioning off some of his stuff on ebay to raise money for charity. Also nothing in his posts make him sound like a troll?

Here are some pictures from a recent tour:

grado-47.jpg

grado-46.jpg

grado-41.jpg

grado-37.jpg

grado-38.jpg

grado-36.jpg

grado-35.jpg

grado-34.jpg

I would kill to hear that setup.

I don't want to revisit the thread right now, but the guy said the speakers were from quite a while ago, I think he mentions a year and dimensions. Are those the same speakers?

And, IIRC, those in the picture are just a bunch of HP1 drivers or something. Maybe RS1 drivers. It's in the first NY meet thread.

And re: troll -- I have insider information. It could still be wrong, though.

Those pics are from the recent tour, so they're probably just GS-1ks.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241948

Ah, I see.

Speaking of Grado, they were working on at one point on some attachments that made their cans effectively closed cans. I'll see if I can dig up the promotional paper that mentioned about that. I really wouldn't mind having a closed pair of cans with Grado sound.

They show up on ebay very seldom, but they are out there. They look very 70ish. Basically a typical looking bookshelf speaker with wooden enclosure. They had normal looking speaker drivers, not headphone drivers like the ones John grado has. At least the ones I've seen on ebay....

• 1 month later...