So, my amp sort of had a makeover. :D

philodox

Cold solder joints all over the place.
Really? We'll have to have a closer look at everything the next time we open it up... probably to install that bridge rectifier you recommended in place of that mess of diodes. :P
Peter uses the best parts he can buy. At the army navy surplus store that is...
Maybe so, but in reality I think most of the parts he uses are fine. People tend to go overboard with boutique parts in most cases.
Air mounting of components.
This is a bad thing?
I could go on and on, but jay should really either post the pictures he sent me, or allow me to link where they are stored.
I might take some new pictures once we finish on it, but I think it is beating a dead horse at this point. I think we all know that his work is sloppy. I wouldn't recommend him at this point unless the person really knew what they were getting into and was ok with that.
Speaking of the BH, i just got from justin the first KGBH-SE. Wait till you people see this thing. If i post pictures he will surely kill me :D He is selling it way to cheap!
Nice, can't wait to see it. Justin does very nice work, if only I could afford it. :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand Peters thing with balance controls... I think they are useless personally.

Well, it can come in handy if you have a hearing imbalance in your ears, or if you happen to get a weak tube but still want to use the amp while waiting for the new tubes to come in.

Yes a number of cold solder joints. Or shitty solder. Or both. say 20% of the connections.

Those motor start caps are definitely surplus. They are absolutely fantastic caps, and to buy them

new these days would be expensive. And likely the materials inside them are filled with carcinogens.

Not likely to explode or leak as long as they are running under their max voltage.

Botique parts, me, never :D

most of my parts are way past that into the completely unobtainum list.

Air mounting of components is only OK if you use left handed sky hooks. Peter

is obviously using right handed sky hooks.

Remember where justin is now. In ten years he will be making $40k a pair power amps,

$50k powered subwoofers... $18k preamps... Hmmm where have i seen this before??

Not sure what sky hooks are, but I will definately keep the woo audio stuff in mind when planning the rebuild. I gave peter those motor run caps btw. :)

I have a feeling that why his soldering looks so ghetto is that he uses a solder gun. Not 100% on that, but that is my guess.