So, my amp sort of had a makeover. :D

philodox

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the grill off some can swt61 woodied.
Yes... which can? :)
BULLSHIT on the hand wound part!
It certainly looks hand wound to me... you would know better though. :)

Just read your other reply. The wires coming out the bottom tell you its not hand wound? I wouldn't think they were that identifiable... Anything I can check to confirm?

Purk - Haven't really had much time with it yet. It is on load from Konig. I will try to give it a good listen this weekend. :)

Haha, this is priceless.

Posted on that other board by swt61:

Originally Posted by philodox

LOL, well, I still haven't mounted the radome yet... maybe tonight.

Thanks itsborken.

I noticed you mentioned something about letting it dry overnight somewhere. Once you put a few drops of hotmelt glue in the knob and quickly slide the knob on the shaft, it will be dry and ready to use in less than a minute.

It's very similar to your sex life...once the shaft is inserted, it's just seconds from being finished.

"I stumbled through my closet for my clothes, and found my cleanest dirty shirt. And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert."

Last edited by swt61 : Today at 12:30 PM.

Well, Peter hand wiring trannies explains why he _still_ has not refunded me a dime on the aborted EA-6 experiment. Now, allegedly, the check is in the mail for part, and I guess the balance once he sells the POS, but he's had the amp back since at least early May.

Glad yours turned out well, Jay... mine just turned my stomach, asthetics aside.

Well, Peter hand wiring trannies explains why he _still_ has not refunded me a dime on the aborted EA-6 experiment. Now, allegedly, the check is in the mail for part, and I guess the balance once he sells the POS, but he's had the amp back since at least early May.

Glad yours turned out well, Jay... mine just turned my stomach, asthetics aside.

Man, I'm sorry you've had to go through this pabbi. :(

As for it turning your stomach though, I thought you really liked the sound and your only complaint was that it had some slight issues with Tool? ???

"Experiment"? What was experimental about it? Where is he selling it? Do you mind if I contact him directly about it (I'm thinking you won't, since it might mean that you get paid sooner) -- if so, whose amp should I ask about?

This is the glorious EA-6, that you can see here on pic 10 (with my HE-60 connector)... I say experimernt as it was reworked twice, as the final straw was the lack of voltage swing on Tool. The first pass was a nasty band of distortion with any electric guitar parts, that several different experienced listeners confirmed. It was simply unlistenable.

Now, for well behaved classical / acoustic music, it was wonderful. Saturated, compressed signal sucked the root.

The worst part about dealing with Peter are the interminable waits - but, for the right person, with the right tastes, maybe this amp would be great. I SO wanted to love this bitch, but she just wouldn't do right.

Sorry to make you rehash all this shit, but...which headphones are you using? Baby O? Is it possible that they were hard to drive? What other amps did you compare with?

I'm asking all this because I heard another amp which I very much liked, and this is supposed to be a step up from it according to Pete, and IIRC, it handled "busy music" quite well. But your criticism that it didn't handle busy music well is a deal-killer, as I do listen to quite a bit of busy music.

Well, I guess I could just ask him if I can return it if it doesn't sound as good as Dave's...

Well, I am using HE-60, but also listened with OII the first go round. I have listened to the HE-60 with my Blue Hawaii, ES-1, and Stax 717, where all sounded good to outstanding, but the EA-6 blew root on 'busy music'. Should be fine on syrup - and I didn't notice any 'Holy Fuck, these are great' comments from the Ontario meet from a few weeks back.

Granted, Peter uses Gammas to test with, and doesn't have HE-anything, nor even OII to test with, so, IHHO, to his ears, on his equiptment, yada, yada, yada... I had Alex (AKZip) listen as well the first time... I was embarrassed / ashamed to trouble him the second.

Oh, finally, feast your eyes on this steaming pile of shit - finest hand crafted swill you're likely ever to see posted... yep, I funded this. MY builds put this under - by a wide margin.

http://home.swbell.net/pabbi/100_1987.JPG

Jay was furtunate - Renaldo worked on his after the fact - mayhaps I should have done the same.

Oh, finally, feast your eyes on this steaming pile of shit - finest hand crafted swill you're likely ever to see posted... yep, I funded this. MY builds put this under - by a wide margin.

Jebus, that's some sweet dremel chatter on the front panel where he needed to take off the anodizing. Sorry you're still getting hosed with this.

Peters casework definitely leaves MUCH to be desired, but as far as the amp circuitry, it is not good, but not terrible for point to point. Before we worked on mine it looked worse than that. :o;D

I was very lucky to have Renato to turn to, sorry that you couldn't work your issues out in a similar way. Shipping back and forth to Peter must have been brutal.

Not sure what type of impressions I posted in the meet impressions thread, but I loved the Gammas on your amp. Listened to some stuff Peter put on as well as a fair bit of massive attack.

Well, P2P is going to be MUCH messier than a pcb by nature. I think people who don't build P2P amps get used to only seeing DIY builds using PCB's. I can tell you its pretty damn hard to layout a p2p design and have it come out looking wonderful. Woo really does a good job of this.

I have seen much worse than the picture that was just posted. The difference, however, is you paid for a professional to build that. I KNOW I can do better than that, so from a commerical standpoint, that is unacceptable IMO.

That said, my new tube amp WAS looking pretty good, then I just plain ran out of space inside the enclosure, so it got messy. fast.

I have seen much worse than the picture that was just posted. The difference, however, is you paid for a professional to build that. I KNOW I can do better than that, so from a commerical standpoint, that is unacceptable IMO.
Yes and no. I agree that a professional build should look better than that. However, my design was completely custom and I believe Pabbi's was the first prototype [could be wrong here], so the initial layout can change a lot as the circuit is tweaked. We both sent our amps back for further work as well which can only add to the mess.

That said, I doubt that his production amps look much better. I think it is just the way Peter works. I'd love to see it change, but for now I am happy that my amp sounds so good... I may still do a complete rebuild at some point, but its not on the top of my list right now.

To be fair, I didn't care how it looked, really, but using a RK27 for volume, and NOT for balance? Cheaping out on parts simoply infuriates me, especially for a 'flagship' product. On my builds, I will way overspend on parts, because that simply matters at the level of refinement we are seeking here. I _thought_ that was what Peter was after, but, it just did not work out for me. Now, I'll spend my effort on recasing the BH, in a proper custom machined case.

Sorry to thread crap, Jay, and I am so happy yours turned out so well... maybe my misadventure can make yours all the sweeter. After all, one outta two ain't bad.

To be fair, I didn't care how it looked, really, but using a RK27 for volume, and NOT for balance? Cheaping out on parts simoply infuriates me, especially for a 'flagship' product. On my builds, I will way overspend on parts, because that simply matters at the level of refinement we are seeking here. I _thought_ that was what Peter was after, but, it just did not work out for me. Now, I'll spend my effort on recasing the BH, in a proper custom machined case.
I really don't understand Peters thing with balance controls... I think they are useless personally. Nice, I can't wait to see how your blue hawaii turns out. O0
Sorry to thread crap, Jay.
Thread crap? This is head-case buddy, no worries. ;)

Actually jay's unit did look worse. wandering drill marks all over every single tube socket.

HEY PETER, go to sears and buy a cheap drill press. Cold solder joints all over the place.

Peter uses the best parts he can buy. At the army navy surplus store that is...

Air mounting of components. Just like mikhail's early work. Actually worse.

Diode bridges made out of smaller diodes in parallel, and alredy burning their way

thru the perf board. I could go on and on, but jay should really either post the

pictures he sent me, or allow me to link where they are stored :D

I have pictures of his production power amplifiers. Every bit as bad.

Speaking of the BH, i just got from justin the first KGBH-SE. Wait till you people see

this thing. If i post pictures he will surely kill me :D He is selling it way to cheap!