I had a couple of SSD's fail in the early days of the species (always under warranty though).

In the past few years I've stuck with Samsung and Crucial and (fingers crossed) haven't had an issue. 

I do manual backups and virus checks at the beginning of every month.

My rig has around 7.5 TB of data and most of the time I can do all that in a little more than a hour.

I follow a lot of audio archivists activities and read some of the research they put into their efforts to digitize their collections and maintain those archives.

Some of these collections are stored on HDD (spinning) and are meant to preserve and make these assets available for research and the public.

One of the big recommendations is to "spin up" all of the drives annually.

They had discovered drive failures/data losses on drives that weren't accessed since they were first created during their mass digitization projects.

Of course, most of us shouldn't have an issue with that since we should be backing up or using our drives more than once a year.

Imagine spinning up The Library of Congress!

Thankfully, another "best practice" for these archives is to store assets in 3 different places and preserve the original analog sources (although the most "at risk" media like lacquer disks that were quickly deteriorating were prioritized for the digitization) so very few priceless recordings were lost forever.

Edited by ironbut
  • Thanks 1

For mission-critical data, you need a UPS attached to your storage system with enough power to allow it to power down fully in the event of an outage or brownout. I like a UPS with voltage regulation as well, to guard against sags and spikes in power supply.

The enterprise-oriented products often have power protection built-in as well, for example, a redundant power supply and power protection on the board (capacitors and/or batteries) as well as non-volatile cache memory against the possibility of power problems.

It kind of goes without saying that RAID is not a replacement for a backup strategy, including offsite backup for most businesses.

Edited by HiWire