Your thoughts on power conditioning

PsychoZX

What is your position on power conditioning?  

1. 1. What is your position on power conditioning?

• It makes a huge difference.
    • It makes small but noticeable improvements.
    • It does nothing to the SQ of a system.
    • It hurts the SQ of a system.
    • I don't know.
    • Other (please specify).

The NH is just a backwards way of trying to fix a problem... instead of paying $100 for one of these take the 100 and get an electrician in to find what is the real cause of the line noise. People are lazy and are always looking for the quick fix...

It's not just laziness -- some of us don't necessarily have the freedom to mess with their living conditions (such as I don't at work, and I wouldn't at home if my landlord wasn't such a wonderful person).

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just laziness -- some of us don't necessarily have the freedom to mess with their living conditions (such as I don't at work, and I wouldn't at home if my landlord wasn't such a wonderful person).

Yes, but it doesnt even help... pay the landlord $100 to look into it ;)

And I dont think many are looking to have an audiophile setup at work :D

And I dont think many are looking to have an audiophile setup at work :D
Why not? I spend more time listening there than I do at home. I've been invited by my boss to bring the big rig in (greatest boss I've ever had, BTW).

And even if not for whatever reasons, it still begs the question -- why would you deny me the opportunity to improve the sound at work in every way possible. If there's something I can put between the wall and my source and/or amp, tell me what it is.

Why not? I spend more time listening there than I do at home. I've been invited by my boss to bring the big rig in (greatest boss I've ever had, BTW).

And even if not for whatever reasons, it still begs the question -- why would you deny me the opportunity to improve the sound at work in every way possible. If there's something I can put between the wall and my source and/or amp, tell me what it is.

You can spend your money on whatever you want. I could care less.

i agree with kg, after i purchased my first power conditioner i notice how fucking thin my stax sounded. they had the life sucked right out of them, sounded dry, lifeless, thin, you get the idea. and tell me how stupid i was after i say this, i did not need it! i had no surge issues, nada, zero, zip. i had surge protection all along. and the refrigerator, washer/dryer etc. had no effect either. and it was expensive. bottom line, kevin, do you need a new boat anchor? i got one....

That one is good for 500 watts. So it really depends on what your home system consists of.

If its a headphone only system, (amp, cd player) it should be more than plenty.

Don't forget about shipping weight.

The one in my picture is about 125 lbs. (maybe more, have not moved it in quite a while)

i just calculated S&H, he can ship it for $19.12, not bad at all. now the big hurdle - asking the wife.

I'm next in line if she says no... >:D

she just said "you're calling me at work for this? do you have one already? then what's that thing under the shelf? you have to get rid of that before you get this new one!"

in other words, I think we found The Sloth's new conditioner. :'(

she just said "you're calling me at work for this? do you have one already? then what's that thing under the shelf? you have to get rid of that before you get this new one!"

in other words, I think we found The Sloth's new conditioner. :'(

Thats what happens when you tell her what stuff is ;)

Just to let you know they do usually make a nice 50db or so hummm and it will take a little bit of know how to wire up the plug and outlets :D

Thats what happens when you tell her what stuff is ;)

Just to let you know they do usually make a nice 50db or so hummm and it will take a little bit of know how to wire up the plug and outlets :D

What about this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sola-Power-Line-Conditioning-with-Voltage-Regulation_W0QQitemZ7618155636QQcategoryZ11772QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I voted for other because I think it really depends on the situation. If you live in a pretty new area or close to a power station your power is likely to be pretty decent and if nothing else you probably get a pretty stable 120V and power conditioning won't give you and significant improvements. If your in my situation where power outages are fairly common and haven't seen 120V anytime recently I think power conditioning can make a pretty big difference.

Which brings me to my question, with summer approaching which means voltages in 105V and less range would I be better off getting a power conditioner that does voltage regulation and brings the voltage up to 120V no matter what the input voltage is? Or would I see a bigger difference going with a balanced power conditioner?

Does anyone know how well something like ONEAC CD1105 or CP1107 would work as a power conditioner?

i found that my oneac 1103 was fine with just the toshiba 3960 plugged into it, but it smashed the dynamics of my Solo amp. in the end, it was too impractical to have that in the chain just for one item, and stuffing up an entire half of a wall outlet. the Monster HTS3500 works much better since all the dynamics come through nice and clear and i can plug max units into it with no discernable degradation of SQ.

i found that my oneac 1103 was fine with just the toshiba 3960 plugged into it, but it smashed the dynamics of my Solo amp. in the end, it was too impractical to have that in the chain just for one item, and stuffing up an entire half of a wall outlet. the Monster HTS3500 works much better since all the dynamics come through nice and clear and i can plug max units into it with no discernable degradation of SQ.

I was under the impression that the Monster power cond. stuff was snake oil...?