Advice Needed - HE60/HEV60

n_maher

We're talking about a gain of 2... 4 balanced. Why do you think a balanced M3 would have a better go at it than a balanced beta22?

Now, I'm not sure if all of these gain ratings are directly comparable, but if they are... The K340's are not going to be happy at the levels I listen, given my experiences with the 10 gain dynahi and assuming that a gain of 4 is 40% relative to a gain of 10 being 100%.

Hmmm... I wonder what the gain on my amp is. Any way to measure it?

I'd be willing to bet that the beta22 could do a good job of driving the k340s as well. It's all about the ability to deliver current. But I am just guessing, as I've never been in the same room with a pair of 340s that I'm aware of. But my M3 is capable of delivering 7 watts or so into 8 ohms, so I would be shocked if it couldn't drive the akgs. Gain is only part of the equation.

Gain is only part of the equation.
Yeah, the voltage swing part right? That's a pretty big part of the equation with the K340's. I'm positive that both amps can drive the K340's, in fact I've heard a balanced M3 and it did a great job, but I don't believe it had a gain of 2. I'd be worried about having to max out the volume and having no breathing room for adjustments.

Maybe if Thrice is around he would know what the gain setting was on the balanced M3 that he brought to the first national meet...

Speaking of, what is the gain setting on your balanced beast from Toole?

Yeah, the voltage swing part right? That's a pretty big part of the equation with the K340's. I'm positive that both amps can drive the K340's, in fact I've heard a balanced M3 and it did a great job, but I don't believe it had a gain of 2. I'd be worried about having to max out the volume and having no breathing room for adjustments.

Maybe if Thrice is around he would know what the gain setting was on the balanced M3 that he brought to the first national meet...

Speaking of, what is the gain setting on your balanced beast from Toole?

selectable 1,2,3,4

That's the amp I've been talking about. balanced m3 :) with a mega power supply. So mega it melted the power supply caps, so that's being fixed now

It was selectable...between 2 and 10...so you probably had it on the higher gain setting...so did I since I was driving K1000 from it.

It was selectable...between 2 and 10...so you probably had it on the higher gain setting...so did I since I was driving K1000 from it.

Seriously, if we want to end this debate I'll send my K340s for Stephen to use for a couple weeks with the betas he's building. I don't expect to have the first of two betas I'm building done that quickly. >:D

Seriously, if we want to end this debate I'll send my K340s for Stephen to use for a couple weeks with the betas he's building. I don't expect to have the first of two betas I'm building done that quickly. >:D

Actually that would be good...are they wired for balanced operation as well?

Well, Nate, I did go HA-2 / HD600 to HE60 / Blue Hawaii... think balanced HA-2, but faster, with the same overall sound signature, kinda. So, this path has been tread before.

BTW, I paid $1450 shipped from Eurpoe for my HE60 / HEV70 with new earpads a year ago. NO intentions whatsoever of selling, even with the Lambda Nova in reserve.

• 2 weeks later...