Advice Needed - HE60/HEV60

n_maher

Ok, I generally hate these "advice" type threads but dammit, I'm considering some serious insanity and want the opinions of the other inmates at the asylum. I've been offered the opportunity to purchase a NOS HE60/HEV60 combo for what seems like a decent price so my questions are the following:

1. Is it worth abandoning (and selling) half my dynamic rig which would basically consist of the HA-2, both pair of Senn cans that I have and also the K340s in the name of a basic stat rig?

2. What would you consider a "fair price" for an NOS Baby O setup?

Ugh, this is killing me.

Your essentially paying for the HE-60 only since the hev60 isn't very good. You'd almost certainly end up building yourself a KGSS at some point in the future. Personally I wouldn't do it, your happy with your dynamic rig so why kill it off for a basic stat rig that you might not even like.

I def wouldn't sell your HA-1. Didn't that take a while to obtain?

The HA-2 was hard to find but I've got friends in low places, it wouldn't be impossible to replace.

Then Senns and the K340 really are no problem to re-optain should you regret the decision. Todd does bring up a good point about the KGSS.

Agreed, on both counts. It's really the fact that I'd end up needing to (or wanting to) build a dedicated amp for the HE60s that has me tweaked.

Your essentially paying for the HE-60 only since the hev60 isn't very good. <snip> Personally I wouldn't do it, your happy with your dynamic rig so why kill it off for a basic stat rig that you might not even like.

The only part that I would want to clarify is that the purchase wouldn't mean selling the yet-to-be-built balanced beta22. I'd still have a pretty serious dynamic rig but your advice Re: the HEV60 is very valid and part of what is giving me pause. More than anything, looking at what I'd have to sell to justify the purchase has me a bit concerned with how much I've already got tied up in what is supposed to be a "hobby".

Time to do a bit of self reflection and see if up is really the direction I should be headed. Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Another thing to consider is that HE60's may be hard to get repaired at this point, if something goes wrong with them (especially with their elements), considering how long they've been out of production at this point (says the man with K1000).

Oh, I don't know what's fair market value for NOS HE60/HEV70 now-a-days, but the I've seen of late have been in low to mid $2K range. To think I used to see them for half that.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me how much I miss my stats rig. :'(

Another thing to consider is that HE60's may be hard to get repaired at this point, if something goes wrong with them (especially with their elements), considering how long they've been out of production at this point (says the man with K1000).

Very good point, and really the only reason I'd spend more on an NOS pair.

Oh, I don't know what's fair market value for NOS HE60/HEV70 now-a-days, but the I've seen of late have been in low to mid $2K range. To think I used to see them for half that.

I'm pretty sure there's a recabled pair on HF for $2200 right now which seems f'ing insane.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me how much I miss my stats rig. :'(

Sorry Haj, didn't mean to pour salt on Salty's wound.

I'm pretty sure there's a recabled pair on HF for $2200 right now which seems f'ing insane.

I saw that pair, too. Just think, you can get youself a OII/007t for that kind of price.

Sorry Haj, didn't mean to pour salt on Salty's wound.

No worries - I love my vinyl rig, which is what my stats rig basically turned into. I'm sure I'll end up with OII (or maybe 4070) at some point again.

looks like you've decided to go for it, nate!

I've decided I'm either moving up or taking a step back, more than likely taking a step back. My stash has gotten a bit out of control over the last year and it's time to pull back a bit. I mean it's not like life would exactly suck if my rig consisted solely of the transport, DAC, balanced beta22 and balanced HD650s and HF-1s.

A couple of years ago, I put up my HE60/HEV70 rig, combined with Stax SRM-007t for what I paid ($1900). I got no takers. Lucky me (and I'm not kidding).

I do think that the OII is overall a better headphone than the HE60 (although a friend of mine who's been comparing them with the thought of keeping one seems to think that they're about equal). It's got a smoothness the HE60 will never match. The only issue is when it's smooth, and shouldn't be. OTOH, the HE60 seems to respond to Stax amps better than Stax headphones. The HEV70 is no prize, but it's decent enough until you have a real electrostatic amp.

People have raised the repair non-issue. Sennheiser is one of the best companies at supporting its older products. It would be out of warranty, and would likely cost, but I'm reasonably sure that Sennheiser would cover any repair issues. If you keep dust out of them, there's no reason for a driver to go bad.

The HE60 is more comfortable than any of the Stax headphones, OII included, if you like the fit of dynamic Sennheisers. In fact, it's likely that you could replace the headband with an "HD" headband if needed.

After not selling the HE60 a couple of years ago, I wound up putting on a new cable, new earpads, and new headband pad (all purchased directly from Sennheiser, although I think they later clamped down on selling the cable). In fact, I'm listening to it hooked to a Stax SRM-X Pro as I type. (SRM-X Pro is even smaller than HRV70, but somehow sounds better. It may be that the HE60 likes the higher Stax bias voltage).

Personally, I think current pricing on HE60 is insane. But it is supply and demand, and HE60 finally hit FOTM status. IMO, right now is a good time to sell an HE60, rather than buy. Which has now got me thinking thoughts I'd rather not be thinking.

Do you really like the HE60 Nate? I heard Tyrions at the first national and wasn't really too impressed with it. They guys are right that you would be wanting to replace that amp pretty damn quick... and you love the Wheatfield. I'd say no personally. I mean, it seems like they come up for sale fairly often... so you could always explore that route later on.

Yeah the HEV70 is a shitty amp that isn't really worth consideration. KGSS DX would definitely be your most affordable upgrade that or the Woo but i suspect the KGSS DX will be better even though it didn't impress me with the O2.

As for surface. Sennheiser has guaranteed everyone that I've takled to that they have a strong supply of pats for the HE60/HE90 to last for a good long time. They aren't like Sony with their support of their discontinued headphones.

Sony is the absolute worst.

My somewhat brief impression of the HE60 at the recent Boston meet was very positive, and it was fed by a pretty mediocre amp so I can only imagine what they'd sound like properly driven. I can see you, Jay, as not such a big fan of the Senn sound not being overly impressed.

This morning's plan to sell it all in the name of a stat rig has quickly morphed into a "holy shit I've got a lot of coin tied up in my current rig" syndrome. Right now it's been boiled down to would I rather keep the Wheatfield and always drive the HF-1s with my uber Millett Hybrid or could I live with selling the Wheatfield and use the balanced beta22 to drive all my dynamic cans. I cold live with either setup and they'd both put about the same amount of $$ in my pocket but in the end the HF-1s sound a whole lot better out of the beta than the do any Millett Hybrid and it's not exactly a slouch at driving the HD650s either. It'll remain unknown how the beta will do with the K340s but that's a risk I'm sort of willing to take knowing my love of the other two cans.

While I'm at it I'll get fitted for one of these this weekend.

restraint-straight-jacket-756854.jpg

And thanks for the honest assessment of prices Hirsch, like the K1ks they seem to have gone through the roof lately.

...and use the balanced beta22 to drive all my dynamic cans.

I'm hoping the balanced beta22 with gain of 2/4 will be all things to all my dynamic cans. I like tubes as much as the next guy, but I don't think there is a tube amp in existence that pairs equally well with both high and low impedance cans. What impresses me so much about the Dynahi is that it works fabulously with every can I throw at it. I'm hoping the beta22 will be the same way. Probably the only thing that remains to be seen is if that gain will be enough to drive HD650s, but I think it will be fine. Not that its the same thing, but even with my gain switch on low on the Dynahi I still have plenty of volume on the Senns. Anywho, I already have three sources, I really don't want to be a multiple amps guy. I did it for a while (Melos, Dynahi, and PPX3 Slam) and that was no fun.

And thanks for the honest assessment of prices Hirsch, like the K1ks they seem to have gone through the roof lately.

This got me thinking, what popular OOP can prices are not going through the roof lately? PS-1, HP-2, and L3000 prices have all risen significantly.

The schematic to the HA-2 is widely available, you can always build yourself another one.

Actually a friend and I have been kicking this idea around for a year or so, sorta of an uber HA-2 with even more up-spec'd parts (Pete didn't exactly skimp) and more importantly a modified output to drive low-ohm cans better.

The new HA-2 will do some of these things, although I'm sad to see the tube rectified PS go. Regardless I've set a plan in motion, one that doesn't involve the HE60 unfortunately but will be better in the long run.

I bet my amp will drive a 340 with authority with a gain of 4
We're talking about a gain of 2... 4 balanced. Why do you think a balanced M3 would have a better go at it than a balanced beta22?

Now, I'm not sure if all of these gain ratings are directly comparable, but if they are... The K340's are not going to be happy at the levels I listen, given my experiences with the 10 gain dynahi and assuming that a gain of 4 is 40% relative to a gain of 10 being 100%.

Hmmm... I wonder what the gain on my amp is. Any way to measure it?