Yeah, bitches! Respect my dollar!

philodox

You do need to experience our health care system. I'm pretty sure that if I lived in canada I'd still have a gap in my teeth. my injury (beyond the broken jaw) was technically ornamental. I'd be missing my two front teeth all together, and I bet the canadain idiots would not have repaired the rest of my mouth, leaving me with two teeth on the upper left side of my mouth, starting from the front. Well, maybe they would have fixed it 6 months later, when the teeth were dead, and there was nothing to do. Did it cost a pretty penny? Yes it did. Could we afford it? No. But we also have this somewhat effective judicial system that found the company's product that I got hurt on faulty, and ordered them to pay all the bills. I couldnt afford the $100k + bill it coast in the end, but you know what? My mouth is fixed, and you'd never be able to tell it happened. If I were in Canada, I doubt that would have happened.

For one of the first time I can remember, I am 100% with Dan on this one. Aerius, you arguments are disposable, as is your rapier wit.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You do need to experience our health care system. I'm pretty sure that if I lived in canada I'd still have a gap in my teeth. my injury (beyond the broken jaw) was technically ornamental. I'd be missing my two front teeth all together, and I bet the canadain idiots would not have repaired the rest of my mouth, leaving me with two teeth on the upper left side of my mouth, starting from the front. Well, maybe they would have fixed it 6 months later, when the teeth were dead, and there was nothing to do. Did it cost a pretty penny? Yes it did. Could we afford it? No. But we also have this somewhat effective judicial system that found the company's product that I got hurt on faulty, and ordered them to pay all the bills. I couldnt afford the $100k + bill it coast in the end, but you know what? My mouth is fixed, and you'd never be able to tell it happened. If I were in Canada, I doubt that would have happened.

So all Canadian doctors are idots now? We have plenty of plastic surgeons here that could have taken care of your teeth work pronto (for money obviously), and the broken jaw would have been looked after quickly.

Biggieh.

Well hooray for you. In Canada, your jaw would be put back together for free, and most of your teeth would be covered as well. Your jaw gets reconstructed immediately, then they'll make a set of dentures for you so you can eat, that's all done right away and at no cost. After that, you get to sort out the percentage coverage for implants which will vary depending on several factors, like how much of your fault it was. It would likely cost you less than 1/10th of what it did, unless the cause was truly monumentally stupid. But hey, feel free to make more retarded assumptions about our system.

And since you and grawk can offer nothing other than personal anecdotes, here's one of my own, involving my cousin's classmate.

Last year my family and I had a somewhat heated argument about Universal Health Care. Their position was that it was a sure-fire plan for foreign doctors, long lines, and poor medical care. I retorted, well at least they can get health care, I can't even afford it.

I write this because I am so angry and frustrated right now, I just don't kow what else to do. Last night I had a call from my mother, it seems she has seen the light and I won the debate...but I wish I hadn't.

I got a call from my mother last night as I mentioned and if the conversation starts with, ?If you wanted to see your sister, now would be the time? then things are about to get really bad.

She is in the hospital for congestive heart failure, this started when she was pregnant with her 3rd child. At this point her heart is pumping out so little blood that she has to remain on sedatives to keep her alive. The plan was to get her on Social Security Disability, then the government insurance for the disabled (the previously mentioned SSD is required for this), move her to Southwestern Medical Center to get her a heart pump installed and put her on the transplant list.

Getting her on Social Security Disability was no problem, but because she had 3 kids she gets a whopping $900 a month from the government for it. That amount of money disqualifies her from the insurance, which is required to get into Southwestern. No other insurance companies are going to take her because the condition is pre-existing. Social Security can get her on their insurance, but that is only after 24 months, which is just too long because the doctors have warned us that the chemicals used to keep her sedated are irritating her heart and can't be used indefinately...hence the need for the pump.

So in short, no insurance, no Southwestern Medical Center, no heart pump, no transplant.

The doctors now classify her as ?terminal? and are talking about sending her home with my mother for whatever time she has left.

27 years old and she is going to die because she makes too much money to get disability insurance?yet we are supposed to have the best health care system in the world.

OO big name drop. You have done just as much assuming in this thread as I have. Also, I can just about guarantee that any other doctor could not have done as good a job as I had. Knowing the financial stuff was covered, we went to one of the best.

And percentage coverage? Again, how is that better than what is available here? We get the same thing.

OO big name drop. You have done just as much assuming in this thread as I have. Also, I can just about guarantee that any other doctor could not have done as good a job as I had. Knowing the financial stuff was covered, we went to one of the best.

And percentage coverage? Again, how is that better than what is available here? We get the same thing.

Let's back up for a minute here just to make sure I have everything straight.

• You had an accident of some sort which fucked up your jaw and took out a bunch of teeth
  • It cost a shitload of money to put it all back together
  • You sued the at fault party to recoup the costs
  • You still couldn't afford the $100k+ bill

Is this essentially correct or am I missing something?

Let's back up for a minute here just to make sure I have everything straight.

• You had an accident of some sort which fucked up your jaw and took out a bunch of teeth
  • It cost a shitload of money to put it all back together
  • You sued the at fault party to recoup the costs
  • You still couldn't afford the $100k+ bill

Is this essentially correct or am I missing something?

No the faulty party paid for everything. Regardless, All I am saying is that neither of our systems are perfect, and arguing for bragging rights is absolutely pointless. Lets go back to arguing about which chick you didnt get with. Or we can agree that Bush is a monkey, and someone should blow him to get him out of office. I nominate Postjack so he can contribute something to this thread.

Regardless, All I am saying is that neither of our systems are perfect,

That, I can agree with. There is no perfect system.

and arguing for bragging rights is absolutely pointless.

I can't say I agree, but I'll agree to drop this particular discussion.

Lets go back to arguing about which chick you didnt get with.

More than I can remember, sometimes I win, sometimes I don't.

Or we can agree that Bush is a monkey, and someone should blow him to get him out of office.

It still amazes me that Bush's support ratings are still hovering around the 30% mark. On the other hand, it's not all that surprising given the gutless Democrats and highly biased media. I've actually lost track of how many impeachable offences and gross constitutional violations he's committed, he should be in jail by now. Let's see, warrantless wiretapping & searches, NSA spying on its own citizens, indefinite warrantless detentions, free one-way trips to the Hotel Gitmo, it's sickening, and I don't even live in the US.

It still amazes me that Bush's support ratings are still hovering around the 30% mark. On the other hand, it's not all that surprising given the gutless Democrats and highly biased media. I've actually lost track of how many impeachable offences and gross constitutional violations he's committed, he should be in jail by now. Let's see, warrantless wiretapping & searches, NSA spying on its own citizens, indefinite warrantless detentions, free one-way trips to the Hotel Gitmo, it's sickening, and I don't even live in the US.

Yeah but most of that was in the name of 'National Security' ::)

And WTF is this deal with IRAN and France and US now? I haven't (and don't normally) follow the political crap but WTF.

And WTF is this deal with IRAN and France and US now? I haven't (and don't normally) follow the political crap but WTF.

The short version is that France has elected a government which is far more right wing than the previous one, this is partly due to fallout from the muslim riots and mass civil disobedience they had a little while back. Instead of taking a "we don't give a fuck" attitude toward Iran and tacitly supporting them like they did in the past, they've now taken a stance that's more inline with US interests.

Iran basically has a whack-a-loony PM who stirs up shit and makes outrageous statements to keep himself in power. The country's in bad shape, so he does his act to make it look like it's the US's fault. They're also developing a nuclear program, mostly for generating electricity so they don't have to burn up all their oil & natural gas, the weapons part comes as a side benefit, and they want that so they US doesn't do to them what they did to Iraq.

The US is probably scheming for a way to topple Iran and take their oil. Which kinda ties back to France, which is now discouraging business with Iran. Which is smart, just in case the US is dumb enough to try and whack Iran, France doesn't want all those assets getting seized or destroyed and then suffering more crap from the US which already hates them.