Deadwood

postjack

I'd say it was average at best, but if it didn't do it for you I wouldn't encourage watching the show. I certainly didn't think it was as bad as you clearly did, but hey, such is life.

I wouldn't say it's the worst movie I've ever seen, but it certainly didn't live up to the amount of praise I'd read about both the movie and the series...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I really don't think that the movie gives you enough of an idea why people really like the show. That said, if you absolutely hated the movie and have never before liked or watched any of Joss Whedon's previous series... I agree with Nate that Firefly is probably not your thing. :)

Then again, I doubt I would have watched Star Trek: The Next Generation if I saw one of the movies first as they all sucked compared to the series.

No, I really don't think that the movie gives you enough of an idea why people really like the show. That said, if you absolutely hated the movie and have never before liked or watched any of Joss Whedon's previous series... I agree with Nate that Firefly is probably not your thing. :)

Then again, I doubt I would have watched Star Trek: The Next Generation if I saw one of the movies first as they all sucked compared to the series.

Ok, sell me on it? What do people see in the series that didn't make it to the surface in the movie? Is it that river is kinda cute, in an emo chick kinda way?

Deadwood is the most brutally violent show I have ever seen. Honestly I can't even think of a movie that is more violent. I kept imaging myself trying to live in a place like that, its almost unthinkable. But like Nate said, the show also makes me laugh my ass off. The characters are just so rich and well developed, and the dialogue is just fantastic.

the gleet episode was a toughie. ;D

Have you seen the movie Irreversible http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290673/? There are some incredibly brutal scenes in that, not to mention the rape scene is truly disturbing.

Irreversible wasn't that brutal or that disturbing. ;) i also don't think Deadwood is that brutal, but the violence portrayed is definitely very casual.

I didn't think Deadwood was that bad either. Irreversible on the other hand... It's been awhile, I just remembering flipping the channel one night and it was on, just before the scene in the bar where the guy gets his face completely bashed in.

Back on topic... And it doesn't appear to be good news.

From the AICN story here...

"I just got a call on Friday from ... a dear friend of mine, who told me that they're packing up the ranch," “Deadwood” star Ian McShane tells Cinematical. "They're dismantling the ranch and taking the stuff out. That ship is gonna sail. Bonsoir, Deadwood."

Of course, "packing up" and "dismantling" the sets doesn't necessarily mean producers are hacking up the set and selling it for kindling, but McShane does say he wouldn't be available to reprise Al Swearenegen for at least another year.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(