E500 vs. Triple.fi

JBLoudG20

Looks like I am going to sell my K701 and M^3 for a transportable upgrade.

At the moment I cam trying to decide between the Shure E500/E530 and the UE Triple.Fi. They are roughly the same price. I guess I am looking for musicality, while still retaining good detail retrieval.

They will be used with my ZV:M (linout) -> Mini^3.

Any experiences/suggestions?

I haven't heard the Triple.fi but I've been living with the E500 as my only headphone for quite some time now and I haven't been happier. I can listen to them just about everywhere, they're the first IEM I've been able to use while lying on my side which is nice. As far as the sound goes I think there has been a ton written about them. For me the E500's offer a darn near perfect balance but it can be a bit of a chore to find the right tips for comfort and balance. I should note that I tend to be very sensitive to treble so I love the E500's smooth, detailed yet not abrasive treble.

Heh, well the triple.fi has already been ordered. I'll post some impressions when I have some time to really listen to them.

Looking forward to that, I saw a thread about custom impressions for ER4Ps again last night and I'm seriously weighing that as an option now too. They don't have much in the way of resale value ($100ish) and if the process is reversible it's not all that much of a risk for better comfort and isolation.

Looking forward to that, I saw a thread about custom impressions for ER4Ps again last night and I'm seriously weighing that as an option now too. They don't have much in the way of resale value ($100ish) and if the process is reversible it's not all that much of a risk for better comfort and isolation.

The ER4P molds also work on westones and E500s, so your investment can transfer.

Shat...I may have to do this

That's pretty much what I said. In the past I don't remember finding anything nearly as reasonable sounding (price-wise) and they always looked goofy as hell too. These actually look half-decent and the price is great. Now, to figure out if I want to go nuts and have APS recable the Etys first... >:D

That's pretty much what I said. In the past I don't remember finding anything nearly as reasonable sounding (price-wise) and they always looked goofy as hell too. These actually look half-decent and the price is great. Now, to figure out if I want to go nuts and have APS recable the Etys first... >:D

APS? You can dew eet!

Nah, he's selling an Ety cable now that looks really sweet and at some point the cost vs. hassle factor takes over and even I'm willing to pay someone else to do work. :)

nevermind, found it.

i'm guessing that I'd have to go see an audiologist to get the custom mold? that'd be easy since the hospital is right by my apartment.

from what I'm seeing, the molds that you get from hearyourself.com dont work with other headphones except the etys

Agreed, the mold wraps around so much of the driver and actually the cable as well that I don't see how that'd be possible. Still, that's of little concern since if I'm going to spend ~$300 to $400 for a new set of IEMS I'm just going to plunk donw for customs anyway.

thanks Nate. I like how the cable doesn't jut out from the end of the driver shaft and just goes straight down at a 90 degree angle, that always bothered me about the stock ety cable. i wonder how the sound will change with these...

Amen to that, I could never convince myself to build Xin's Ety cable as it just looked a bit too ghetto. Alex's cable looks friggen sweet. There are some pretty positive impressions over at HF of the cable as well. I'll see if I can track the thread down, here it is.

Amen to that, I could never convince myself to build Xin's Ety cable as it just looked a bit too ghetto. Alex's cable looks friggen sweet. There are some pretty positive impressions over at HF of the cable as well. I'll see if I can track the thread down, here it is.

wow, i just looked up Xin's replacement cable and it is definitely ghetto. thanks for the thread, unfortunately there are two retards who are mucking it up for the rest of us there. can't get past the arguing to actually sit there and read the thread.

Holy Crap.

I got went home form my apt. today, and I had waiting for me the rest of the parts for my mini^3, and my triple.fi.

I finished the mini^3 in about 45 minutes, and let it charge for a while. I just put the triple.fi in, ad hooked my mini up to my ZV:M's lineout.

My initial impressions:

I have never heard this much detail before. Never. The 701 can't touch these, and they were the most detailed phone I've heard to date.

The bass is wonderful. nice and full, while remaining tight and quick. Among the best bass response I've heard from headphones. I have to run it through a the ringer on some more vocal music (Right now listening to Karsh Kale- Broken English, which is electronic/world music(Indian)/some vocal)

It has this distant feeling that I'm not used to with IEM's. It actually has decent soundstage, for an IEM. That took me aback when I first put them in. I'm used to that in the head sound. This still has it, but it STARTS to expand beyond your ears.

Imaging seems superb.

The highs sparkle much more than I expected. to tell the truth, I half expected to hear them, and want to return them. I have yet to be so impressed by a high end IEM, and have not yet been able to justify the price difference.

I will still work these out over the weekend, but if they keep this up, they may be sticking around.

Where's my sigma, biatch

O0

Holy Crap.

I got went home form my apt. today, and I had waiting for me the rest of the parts for my mini^3, and my triple.fi.

I finished the mini^3 in about 45 minutes, and let it charge for a while. I just put the triple.fi in, ad hooked my mini up to my ZV:M's lineout.

My initial impressions:

I have never heard this much detail before. Never. The 701 can't touch these, and they were the most detailed phone I've heard to date.

The bass is wonderful. nice and full, while remaining tight and quick. Among the best bass response I've heard from headphones. I have to run it through a the ringer on some more vocal music (Right now listening to Karsh Kale- Broken English, which is electronic/world music(Indian)/some vocal)

It has this distant feeling that I'm not used to with IEM's. It actually has decent soundstage, for an IEM. That took me aback when I first put them in. I'm used to that in the head sound. This still has it, but it STARTS to expand beyond your ears.

Imaging seems superb.

The highs sparkle much more than I expected. to tell the truth, I half expected to hear them, and want to return them. I have yet to be so impressed by a high end IEM, and have not yet been able to justify the price difference.

I will still work these out over the weekend, but if they keep this up, they may be sticking around.